• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS for the Significant Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
A few months before my boyfriend left, I asked a girl whose husband was in OCS at the time to tell me things she wish she had known. I thought I'd pass along her response for anyone else wondering.

------------------------------------------------------------

1. Don't ever call him at OCS, he could get in a lot of trouble.

2. Don't send packages only regular business envelopes. They have to open packages in front of their Drill Instuctors and they get in trouble if they get cookies and gifts.

3. Your BF will not be able to call you often for the first few weeks, only Sundays for about 15-20 minutes while he waits in line to use the phone, make sure he can call collect or has a calling card, and at least one picture of you.

4. The list of stuff to bring says a Navy type blanket, this is wrong, he doesn't need a blanket or flashlight either.

5. Make sure he is physically ready to go, count the sit-ups, push-ups and running time he can do. The first few weeks of exercise are harder for people who are not in shape. The manual he gets should tell you the right times and amounts of exercises.

6 .Write to him everyday and start writing before he gets there, they "keep" the letters until the following week after they start, so if you start early, he'll already have them, oh and your letters will take a week to get there, because they hold them until they feel like giving them to the guys.

7. He won't be able to write a lot either, he can email on Sundays for the first few weeks.

8. Be very positive, never cry or get upset, what he is going through is VERY hard.

9. Make sure he has a credit card or at least 300 dollars, there are lots of things he has to buy to get started.

10. Expect to come and visit him either the 4th week or 6th week that he is there, this is when he wil be granted liberty for the whole weekend, they have to earn liberty by passing personnel inspections, if they don't pass them (as an entire group) then you can visit him anyway but only on Sundays for church on base. You can visit him even the first week, but only on Sundays like I said but this is for about 6 hrs from 8:00 am until about 2:00 pm., if you really think you'll miss him, make reservations now, but he'll need some time to get to know the guys in his group, this is important so that they will work as a team. Sunday is his only free day to talk with other guys alot too.

11. Your BF will want to drop out the first day he gets there, tell him it gets better and he will be proud of himself if he stays.

12. Don't go to the Outback Steak house on the first day he gets liberty, all the other guys will be there, and you won't have any alone time, like me!

13. Get a hotel room for the first day he gets liberty

14. Take a camera, he will look great in a uniform! oh and always dress up for him when you see him!

15. The first time you see him after a whole month is magic !!!!

16. Tell him to study the manual before he goes, and make sure he knows everything pact, he will get tested on this and if he doesn't pass it will hurt his class.

solenita72

SWO Wife
Well, I can make some adaptations to this:

You can call, but only in an emergency.

My husband is freezing, so the blanket comes in handy, and the flashlight, too for studying after lights out and letter writing!

My husband didn't have computer access until the 4th week, so he wasn't able to email at first.

e5b-wife

My husband never had computer access to e-mail unless he was on liberty and went into town. (This may be a difference between the Marines and Navy). If you do send pictures choose wisely because the Sargeant Instructors (DIs are for bootcamp) will look at them. I've heard about a few girls sending dirty pics to their men. It makes for great stories once OCS is over but it can make life rough for the guy while he's there. As far as the blanket goes I agree with Solenita. It really depends what time of year they go to OCS whether they'll need it or not.
And if you're close enough to go visit when they get liberty go for it. I didn't get to go until my husband graduated and it was well worth the time off from work and the money it cost. You see, I was in Texas and he was in Quantico. If you can't get there for a regular liberty weekend definitely go to graduation. It's pretty inspiring.
The main thing to keep yourself going while your siginificant other is gone is too kep to your usual routine. And take the time to hang out with your girlfriends. They will be your best support group. I worked late during the week so I didn't have to be in the house alone so much and my best friend used to stay with me a lot. If you don't have a hobby before they leave find one. IT passes the time. I had my horse, a garden and my 4-H kids to keep up with. The time flies by if you can stay busy. And everynight before I went to bed I wrote a letter and put in the mail. That way my husband got a letter everyday. Or sometimes a bundle depending on how long the DIs held the mail.
Believe letters are what keep them going. Unfortunately, don't expect many letters back. They don't get time to write unless they do it after lights out and that cuts into their sleep which they get precious little of anyway.
Oh yeah, you can send packages, just don't send food. My husban forgot a few little personal things and I sent them out. It was no problem. I just wouldn't do it unless it's something pretty important.

e5b-wife

Grandmaster - Thanks for the correction. You'll save me from making a jerk of myself in the future. I'm still trying to figure out all the differences between the Corps and the Navy and growing up an Army BRAT isn't helping. My brain is all kinds of jumbled.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
icon_smile_wink.gif

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
My boyfriend took a blanket and flashlight but I haven't asked him if he's used them. And I'm guessing that the computer access was either a typo or her husband had the same class job as Patmack. I think it probably should have said "he can't email on Sundays for the first few weeks."

It's only been 3 1/2 weeks and I've already cleaned out every closet and rearranged every drawer/cupboard in my apartment. I need a hobby.

solenita72

SWO Wife
The first weeks are the absolute worst!! It will help when you get to see him, I know it did for us. Your both miserable, I'm sure, but Christmas is not so far away! That is the good thing, they get a break! Can you imagine what it would be like with no holiday to break it up??

Status
Not open for further replies.