• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Flight Physical

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
Keep pushing and keep your eyes on the prize, and you'll go far.

Thank's for the encouragement. I'll keep going at it because this is something I really want to do. It is starting to get stressful though.

Did your friend get NPQ'ed at OCS or at MEPS?

jiggs

Naval Aviator
If you guessed, do you think this mean I have to wait until OCS to get this cleared or DQ'ed (or even after)?

I doubt it. You don't officially get a NAMI clearance until- no joke- a matter of days before you graduate OCS. Flight doc has to look you over at OCS. I know it sucks, but I don't think you can get any solid assurance that you'll be green-lighted for SNA until you're ready to graduate. Fortunes are made and lost in those last few days at OCS. In some cases, guys would graduate, but not yet get Ensignized because they were still waiting on NAMI clearance and, ergo, orders.

exNavyOffRec

I don't even know why I got disqualified in the first place. I took and passed the glaucoma tests, and the doctor said it was probably something I have had since birth (glaucoma isn't something you get at birth) with nothing to worry about. Yet, I am still disqualified and need a waiver for a suspect condition... I understand my eyes are important, but this is annoying.

My recruiter is waiting to talk to the officer operations leader at NRD on monday and see what he has to say. He may try getting some information from NAMI but I do not know.

If you guessed, do you think this mean I have to wait until OCS to get this cleared or DQ'ed (or even after)?

The letter says you can't sign until NAMI gives the OK, so this would need to be cleared up before, at least NAMI would have to give a preliminary "looks OK, let him sign".

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
The letter says you can't sign until NAMI gives the OK, so this would need to be cleared up before, at least NAMI would have to give a preliminary "looks OK, let him sign".

That's WAY better than getting a response at OCS.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
Good luck deadweather.

Man following your medical drama is exhausting. I am frustrated just waiting for my 6 months post op check-up for PRK. I can't imagine having to go through some of the stuff you are dealing with. Maybe your ordeal will take long enough that we end up classmates at OCS haha. For your sake, I hope not.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
Good luck deadweather.

Man following your medical drama is exhausting. I am frustrated just waiting for my 6 months post op check-up for PRK. I can't imagine having to go through some of the stuff you are dealing with. Maybe your ordeal will take long enough that we end up classmates at OCS haha. For your sake, I hope not.

No kidding, it is discouraging and I'm going rip my eyes out ( N3M: subject applicant DOES NOT meet established physical standards due to
current evaluation indicating applicant is going to rip his eyes out) ;)

I'm just going to stop worrying about it and let the cards fall where they may. I will not be going until January at the earliest due to school anyways.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I got this email back from NAMI. Basically I am DQ'ed for Pilot but apparently okay for SNFO. My recruiter said my options were to get PRK done and see how that turns out (needless to say, a huge financial invenstment) or go NFO. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Email:
I'll do that his uncorrected vision right eye is 20/50 on 2 exams, no good
for pilot. The civilian eye exam I can't make any sense from the cyclo is
that what he corrected to under cyclo, and 20.30-2 isn't acceptable. The
repeat sent to Capt Caruso shows vision corrects to 20/20-2 right eye. Must
be 20/20 -0 on Good lite chart at 20'. He could probably be an SNFO but
that's based on the eye exam done at MEPS and civilians. That's the best
answer I can give you. Hopes this helps out some.

Also: is the 20/20 -0 a on the good lite chart required for NFO? I got -2 and will probably get -2 again. The "probably" wording is sketchy to me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ If you are happy with being a NFO - go NFO, it's a great job. But if you are going to be one of those NFOs that is always moaning about how he wanted to be a pilot, get the PRK and go pilot. In the long run, the cost of PRK is minimal compared to the benefits.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
^ If you are happy with being a NFO - go NFO, it's a great job.

I would be happy to be NFO. A lot better than a typical cubical desk job I would get in the Civil Eng field.

I just don't think I am qualified for NFO either. My NRD says I am, but I do not think they are correct.
and PRK is worth it... if it works. I have no idea if the 5 grand I drop on eye surgary will be a waste, but I know there is nothing anyone can tell me to help me with that, haha.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I would be happy to be NFO. A lot better than a typical cubical desk job I would get in the Civil Eng field.

I just don't think I am qualified for NFO either. My NRD says I am, but I do not think they are correct.
and PRK is worth it... if it works. I have no idea if the 5 grand I drop on eye surgary will be a waste, but I know there is nothing anyone can tell me to help me with that, haha.

Well it's definitely worth your time researching if you meet the NFO requirements. The requirements for your eyes are quite a bit different for NFO and pilot, so if you're borderline for pilot, you're probably ok for NFO. Emphasis on probably.
There are risks associated with getting PRK in order to get a pilot slot. It may not get you where you need, or you might get it and still not get picked up. However, I know many people, myself included, who have had PRK and had overwhelmingly positive experiences with it. I would not have been qualified for SNA without it. That's not intended to steer you either way, just some more amplifying info. Good luck.

nugget61

pilot

If you're paying that much, you're looking at a respectable doctor. You have to realize that PRK is actually a really benign surgery and most places offer a guarantee to get you to 20/30 or they will re-blast your eyes. The only concern you need to have is 1) losing your pre-rec due to the 6 months wait and 2) being not correctable to 20/20 after the surgery. That said, you really don't need to sweat it.
Even if you don't fly, do yourself a favor and get the surgery.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
Well it's definitely worth your time researching if you meet the NFO requirements. The requirements for your eyes are quite a bit different for NFO and pilot, so if you're borderline for pilot, you're probably ok for NFO. Emphasis on probably.
There are risks associated with getting PRK in order to get a pilot slot. It may not get you where you need, or you might get it and still not get picked up. However, I know many people, myself included, who have had PRK and had overwhelmingly positive experiences with it. I would not have been qualified for SNA without it. That's not intended to steer you either way, just some more amplifying info. Good luck.

I am spending the rest of the evening researching NFO physical requirements. No one at my NRD is knowledgeable about the requirements. I may be DQ'ed for that designator as well.

My recruiter said that the current PM is willing to hold pro-recs through PRK surgery. He didn't really comment on whether the current PM will still be around in 6 months. I may ask for something in writing if possible. The surgery may not get me up and over 20/20 though, despite what my doctor told me. For all I know, I am easy money to him.

If you're paying that much, you're looking at a respectable doctor. You have to realize that PRK is actually a really benign surgery and most places offer a guarantee to get you to 20/30 or they will re-blast your eyes. The only concern you need to have is 1) losing your pre-rec due to the 6 months wait and 2) being not correctable to 20/20 after the surgery. That said, you really don't need to sweat it.
Even if you don't fly, do yourself a favor and get the surgery.

He does seem like a respectable doctor. I met with him for a preliminary evaluation and he seems very knowledgeable with the surgery. He seemed to think he could get me to 20/20 and possibly 20/15. I have a full consultation on Friday. I just hope he is honest with me and not trying to rip me off. My right eye is 20/50 to 20/40 uncorrected and 20/30 to 20/20 -2 corrected. The second part is what concerns me due to it possibly not being a refractive problem.

Crain

OCS Nov 11th Pro-Rec SNA July 2012
Make sure you read as much as you can about PRK. If your vision is over corrected you can be DQed for that. Try to find a doctor who is familiar with PRK requirements for the military.

Kees

SNA Select
Does anyone know if NAMI still uses the Ishihara Plates and/or FALANT color vision tests for SNA/SNFO, or have they transitioned solely to the computerized color vision test they've been testing for the last few years?