• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS class 182- January 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet_ifr

my OSO said that applications need to be submitted no later than Novemeber 15th, as that's when the board meets...then about a 1 month wait to hear if we've been selected.

kmc9280

Hey jet,
I saw on another post that you went this summer and had to go home because of a hernia. How long were you there before it happened? Also since you have experienced the initial aspects of OCS recently, can you comment or do you have any advice for us?

Kevin

jet_ifr

Kevin-

I made it about a week of training before my hernia popped...which was really a bad deal. I had an "upper umbilical hernia," basically right above my navel I had a 1 cm wide X 1.5 tall protrusion of "stuff." I had this pain for a couple days prior to my injury, like I had done too many situps and my abs were sore, right around my belly button. On a fartlek run my stomach was hurting like hell and the sucker popped. That happened on a Wednesday and I was driving home on Friday. Depressing. I went under the knife the following Thursday in my hometown and had PRK one week after that.

OCS initially is comprised of 2 1/2 days of medical and administrative inprocessing. In the first day you report, get issued basic war gear (canteens and cartridge belt), get issued the small and large bags with all your standard stuff (books, pens, soap, towels etc.) and get put in your platoon. You sit/stand around lots during those first couple days, waiting for either exams, blood draws, UA's, whatever...it's boring. After you pass all the medical screening you'll interview with your company XO, which consists of him looking at you and you telling him your name. Day 3 you take the initial PFT, then later that morning you 'meet' your company and platoon staff. Thats when the Sgt Instructors and Plt Sgts go crazy and you move at light speed at almost every waking moment from then on.

OCS is not fun, but it isn't that bad either. My advice is to keep a positive attitude during training and remember that the cousre is designed to be passed. (granted I have yet to do so due to injuries) The thing that is going to suck the most about class 182 is the weather. The average temp in VA that time of year is like 42 degrees so we're going to be freezing our tails off most of the time.

Advice: Remember that Integrity is paramount at OCS. No matter what you do, someone is always watching you at all times. Whether it be your Plt staff or your fellow candidates, someone will notice everything you do. I'm not trying to sound salty or anything in all this rambling but seriously, a candidate's integrity will get them through OCS barring physical injury, but even that can get ignored by the Company staff if you're an excellent candidate and your injury happens late in the training cycle.

The best way to prepare for OCS physically, especially the winter class is to PT outside in the AM when it's cold. Run, run, run and run some more. I ran a 291 prior to shipping (20 PU, 100 Curls, 19:17 run) and a 295? (20,100,18:40) for the initial at OCS. Learn to do true dead hang pullups, b/c the PT Instructors won't let you 'kip' your hips forward or bounce or cheat the pullup in ANY way. Lots of candidates complained that the 3-7 pullups they got credit for weren't an accurate picture of their potential. Run hills too, incorporate them into your daily PT b/c the hills at OCS can get sort of steep, especially if you've only gotten 2-3 hours sleep the previous night. Break your boots in prior to OCS too. Ask your OSO how. Do some runs in boots to get the feel for it, slower pace (60-70%) and about 2-3 miles to start. It'll get good callouses (sp?) started that will come in handy on humps. If you can handle the PT without problems it takes alot of pressure off you b/c the Plt Sgts and Sgt Instructors won't give you as much negative attention if you're a PT stud.

One more thing, try not to be the 'Nasty Candidate' early on. And pay attention to the prior enlisted candidates, they'll be locked on right away and will be a big help, especially if you're lost. My rack-mate was a prior when I went through PLC Jr's and helped me out tremendously in the beginning.

Good luck and hope to see everyone at Class 182. Email me if you have other ??'s at taylor_je@hotmail.com

-John

Raptor2216

hey John, were you out there for PLC-jrs/srs or the 10 week program? I was out there for juniors. Anyway, I was just curious. Later.

jet_ifr

Raptor~

I was a PLC'er (ground) when I was in college. I attended Juniors in 1998, after my freshman year of college. In the fall of 2000 (my junior year) I tore my thumb apart during soccer tryouts and had to have reconstructive surgery. I was NPQ'd indefinitely b/c I had alot of rehab problems with my thumb, limited motion and numbness by a MEPS doctor who wrote a bad analysis even though I had rosey letters from my doctor who did the surgery. Two years later I finally got the "thumbs-up" from BUMED and I went back to OCC class 180 on an NFO contract last summer b/c I was NPQ'd and dropped from the PLC program. but I was injured at OCC, had PRK and am now applying for an AIR slot.

-John

Beaver

My OSO said that he was told not to issue anymore boots to candidates. They apparently want to issue them to us when we get there. That sounds like a lot of messed up feet, if you ask me. Anyone else been told the same thing?

kmc9280

I've been told the same thing. I guess 181 will be the first class to try the new boots. I know a guy that is heading to 181 and they won't give him any to break in. I did hear that they are going to give those candidates time at OCS to do that. We'll see about that one. I'm not sure what they are going to do with all the 182 cand.'s I did see the boots however and I must admit they look pretty good. No spit shining, can't complain about that.

Kevin

Beaver

Well guys, I completed my PFT that I'll use for this application. I scored a 275 which will have to do. All I have now is the waiting process, which seems like a long time for us, I think. Anyone else complete their PFT for their January application? Just curious how I stack up.

Hudson

Scott,
Good job on the PFT. I got stuck down hear working with students over the weekend. Going to try and make it up in the next few weeks. Don't think I will get a 275 though. Good Luck
Hudson

JF

Hi all. Just found out about this site. Very well done! I am applying NFO for the January class. I am re-taking the Aptitude test in about a month. I missed my first try by 5 questions on the Math/Verbal test. I did well enough on the other three sections it was the math that gave me trouble. Any tips for improving? I got a couple of math prep books yesterday. Also, I noticed that there were only 9 verbal questions on my test. The Arco prep book had 17 verbal questions. Does anyone know if the number of verbal questions varies from test to test or is it always 9? Is this just another in the many errors in the Arco book?

JF

Regarding deadlines and what not...
My OSO told me that their office needs to get the applications in by November 7th. The board should meet sometime mid-December.
Regarding PFT...
I currently have 16 pullups, 100 crunches and a 20.50 runtime. Not great but alot better then where I started!
The only way I got better is through a consistent effort, run, pullups, etc... I started to follow the Armstrong program recently so hopefully that will help.

primipilus

I am applying for the november class, what does it mean when you get a three on the astb, my oso said that I did well on the other parts of the test accept the math and verbal part. What does the three mean, I just think he wasn't being helpful at all. He told me to come back in about three weeks, I have no waivers and my book is down, my pft is 285, 20 pullups, 100situps and about a 20:21 on the run. If I don't do as well next time is it over. Need some suggestions from you guys or gals. My oso has completely left me to dry.
icon_smile_question.gif

Beaver

I believe a 3 means that you didn't pass. I think the scores are combined, weighted, and converted to a stanine. What that means is they do a bunch of calculations and come up with a score between 0 and 9. You can find the passing scores in a few places on this website, but I can't recall them right now. I think the lowest you can possibly get on only certain parts is a 4 but I could be wrong. It's also scored differently depending on if you want aviation or NFO.
If you didn't pass the first time then you have to wait 30 days, I believe, to retake it. If you fail a second time it jumps to something like 90 days maybe. Once again I could be off by a bit here. Just study the materials given above and maybe find another OSO is yours isn't being helpful. Or maybe you should just bug him more about it. [}:)]
Anyone have anything else to offer?

megrey06

Kingsville
Hey guys, some quick gouge - the OCC-182 board meets 9 December. My package will be sent this Friday (27 September).

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.