• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS class 182- January 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessone

Beaver, you're right about the waiting periods, from what I remember. First wait is 30 days, then 90, then a year and a half.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

CorpSig

First: Good Luck to class 182, sound off loud, move fast, stay motivated. Second: The new boots should be nothing to worry about, they're essentially ICB's in suede, breaking in should be no prob but cunnilinguist (outstanding username) is right, condition your feet now. I lived in my jungles before going to Jr's this summer, I think I only wore ICB's for graduation, those jungle boots are my best friends now, my feet never complained. With these new boots I would like to stress the importance of conditioning your feet, just one of the many things you can do now to allow you to focus on more important things when you roll up to Brown Field.

kmc9280

Does anyone have any advice or know anything about the rigors of the wonderful winter class? I was originally shooting for the Oct. class but was delayed. I'm curious to hear how ass cold it is out there. Thanks.

Kevin

jet_ifr

After I was given word that I was NPQ'd this past summer my Plt Commander pulled me into his office and told me his story for motivation...he was at OCC in the summer back when the earth cooled and broke his leg. He got recycled into the winter class and said it was colder than shit. The average temp is in the 40's during January, he said that it was more mentally strenous because you're so friggin cold all the time...but hey, who cares? He said that during a cold snap the combat course froze over, and rather than spare candidates the enjoyment of the Quigly they just broke up the ice and let candidates have their way with it. Sounds great to me!

BTW: I did a PFT (296) and contracted today, and submitted my book to district. I have my final PRK exam tomorrow, which gets sent down to NOMI for someone to look at.

Good luck to everyone that's getting ready to contract-

John

JF

I guess you can look at it this way. You can always warm up by running or putting on more clothes, but it is harder to cool down unless you jump in a pool or are in an air conditioned room. I would honestly rather go in October but if I get in January I will be so happy I woon't care!

jet_ifr

To all applying for OCC 182, how are the applications coming along? Any new gossip from your OSO's? Just wondering...

davidsin

Anyone know what is an acceptable pft score? I think Mine is about 250, which is lagging everyone else in here it seems. My oso told me to bring it up by the 19th, which I think is about the last chance I got before submitting. I passed for all air slots, but my slight left eye stigmatism, which is correctable, put me in the NFO slot. They say NFOs have better commandability..can anyone elaborate on that? Also, they say I could get a PRK done at the Naval Hospital during TBS and transition over to pilot...does anyone know anyone that went through this before? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi Do or Die Gung Ho GUng Ho!!

jet_ifr

Hey 250 will get you to OCS but keep working on it. Get your OSO to chase you with his car when you run it. (not kidding) What your OSO means by command-ability is that NFO's have opportunities to go out into the ground side of things and do non-flying tours like being a Forward Air Controller. I heard somewhere that sometimes before API Marine Officers can go to OIC and then as an NFO you'd command a grunt Plt, perhaps a company. Also, as an NFO in an EA-6B squadron you'd outnumber the pilots 3:1, so there's more opportunity for a command there. Clear as mud? I looked into the same PRK thing you're talking about. You have to get permission to get it done and the waiting period (so I was told) at Bethesda MD Naval Medical center was like 3 months prior to surgery, and somewhere along the line I remember seeing you're put on restricted duty status for 1 month, which would keep you out of training. I don't know what the exact deal is, but bug your OSO about it and call around. And about transitioning to pilot, most likely you'd be competing against other LT's at TBS for that pilot spot since you'd be there on a gaurenteed NFO contract.

hope it helps, good luck on it. post what you find out-

john

davidsin

about the splints...they say sometimes it's best to rest. I had mad splints and after two days of rest and some ice packs I was back on the track. I thought that sitting on my butt would affect my proformance in a negative way, but my run time improved after the rest. Or you can just keep running and see your proformance go down for a while, it will go back up when you shake the splints off!!

davidsin

I got the same expericence as jet only I got the hernia before shipping out. this delayed my ship out date, and affected my pft score. It took me out of the game for 3 months. sux~ but im back and good to go now~Hooo-Rah~!!

davidsin

this is a message to primipilus

I just recently passed my air test on the second try. I know for sure that a 3 is not a passing score. However, if this was your first try you get another try after a month. Don't blow it! If you do not get scores of 4 or better on the second try you will have to wait 6 MONTHS for a retake. If you still don't make it on the third it's adios~ They say that 40% don't pass the first test and pass the second time, so don't sweat too much..just study.

ryguy

Just wanted to add my gouge to the pot. My OSO has told me the board will be meeting December 6th and that some ground slots have recently opened up. I just contracted and my package is finished. I don't really have a good feel as to whether my package will measure up at the OCS board. I got a 7 8 7 on the ASTB, I don't have any waivers on my package, and i have good recommendations but my PFT was only a 246 [xx(] I am going to continue to work to get it up at least above 250. How is everyone elses package looking. Trying to get the warm fuzzies about my package so I am not so damn nervous waiting to hear!!

megrey06

Kingsville
I found out last Thursday that I was not selected for USMC aviation. I'm in Atlanta, so most of the 6th district guys should be hearing soon if you haven't already.

I'm trying to pull everything together and figure out what direction I'm going to go. Possibly ANG and most likely pursuing commercial aviation.

Good luck to the rest of you. I'll check back soon to see what everyone else has heard.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.