• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and NIOBC

bryanteagle6

Well the downside is that all DWEs leading up to that 4.5-week RNIOBC phase 1 course are largely “unstructured.” Some might say “wasted.” No PQS material is covered, no book sign-offs are allowed. Since Ensigns need to complete DCOIC before attending RNIOBC, that means a new ENS 1835 may go a year before even starting his or her 3I1 Intel PQS. So the first 12+ months of that 36 month clock to earn one’s Intel PQS is usually just lost time.

does this mean that Reserve intel no longer has the option to train in the AC Intel Niobc?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
does this mean that Reserve intel no longer has the option to train in the AC Intel Niobc?
You can still do the 20+ week course if you don’t want to do the 4.5 week + 2 week reserve course. But I don’t know why you’d want to. The reserve version is essentially the same content, just accelerated. It’s hard enough on your career and family to be gone for a month.

bryanteagle6

I’m thinking of going intel through DCO in the reserves. I was wondering if anyone would know what the NIOBC course is like if you were to take it over the 18 month period? Would it be more difficult? And what are the information dominance basic/ leadership courses in VA like?
Thanks
Nicole

I dont think anyone in here has done the IWBC or the DIVOLC they are newish.
Id like to know if they can be done together and just do 4 weeks straight?
Do you have to do them before designator schools? (CWOBC, IPBC, NIOBC etc)
And any other gauge we have on them.

AULANI

I dont think anyone in here has done the IWBC or the DIVOLC they are newish.
Id like to know if they can be done together and just do 4 weeks straight?
Do you have to do them before designator schools? (CWOBC, IPBC, NIOBC etc)
And any other gauge we have on them.

I did DIVOLC first and now I'm in my last week of IWBC... then headed to NIOBC. Some of the people in my class went to CWOBC and IPBC first before they came here. Basically, it's a mix of people in various stages of training.

bryanteagle6

I did DIVOLC first and now I'm in my last week of IWBC... then headed to NIOBC. Some of the people in my class went to CWOBC and IPBC first before they came here. Basically, it's a mix of people in various stages of training.

So you did 4 weeks straight for the 2? Also, are they in line with RNIOBC or will you take a break for awhile and then go to RNIOBC when the seats open up?

AULANI

So you did 4 weeks straight for the 2? Also, are they in line with RNIOBC or will you take a break for awhile and then go to RNIOBC when the seats open up?

Yeah, 4 weeks straight for DIVOLC and IWBC then straight to NIOBC. I'm active duty 1830 so I'm not sure how it would work for the reserve folks. There weren't any reservists here with me but the instructors mentioned that they do get reserve guys mixed in with the AD folks during DIVOLC/IWBC phase.

For any AD peeps, it's PCS orders here when you're an 1830. I didn't know this and assumed I would just be TAD in a training status. All the married people in class (like myself) didn't really want to move our families here for only 6 months just to have to move them again after graduation so we are kinda doing the geo-bachelor thing. The sucky part is you are paying two rents (here in VA Beach) plus wherever your family is currently living. Something to think about and plan ahead.

PCORTEZ4

Pcortez4
Yeah, 4 weeks straight for DIVOLC and IWBC then straight to NIOBC. I'm active duty 1830 so I'm not sure how it would work for the reserve folks. There weren't any reservists here with me but the instructors mentioned that they do get reserve guys mixed in with the AD folks during DIVOLC/IWBC phase.

For any AD peeps, it's PCS orders here when you're an 1830. I didn't know this and assumed I would just be TAD in a training status. All the married people in class (like myself) didn't really want to move our families here for only 6 months just to have to move them again after graduation so we are kinda doing the geo-bachelor thing. The sucky part is you are paying two rents (here in VA Beach) plus wherever your family is currently living. Something to think about and plan ahead.
Must the DIVOLC/IWBC be completed before NIOBC? It seems that succession only makes sense.

RedGriffin

Well the downside is that all DWEs leading up to that 4.5-week RNIOBC phase 1 course are largely “unstructured.” Some might say “wasted.” No PQS material is covered, no book sign-offs are allowed. Since Ensigns need to complete DCOIC before attending RNIOBC, that means a new ENS 1835 may go a year before even starting his or her 3I1 Intel PQS. So the first 12+ months of that 36 month clock to earn one’s Intel PQS is usually just lost time.

Though couldn't an enterprising ensign begin studying the intel/IDWO PQS reference materials and questions before attending RNIOBC PH 1 & 2 and then get their book sign-offs done pretty quickly afterwards, and so while the pre-NIOBC DWEs might be "wasted", the 12+ months are not?