• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Acceptance Memo?

Table

Hello, AirWarriors.

I recently received a Pro-Y for SNA, which I am very excited for. It was my top choice of what to do when I applied after wanting to be a military pilot my whole life, but some recent difficulties at home have been making me think twice about the Navy. I was asked to sign an acceptance memo, but am unsure if it means I would be required to start OCS, and what it could mean if I accept (or decline) and later realize that I would be better off in another branch of service.

The relevant bullet states, "By accepting this selection into the officer program above, I understand that I will attend Officer Candidate School (OCS), scheduled for..." but I was under the impression that OCS can be declined any time before I ship. As much as I want to be a Naval Officer, the nature of these recent difficulties has made me believe that the Air National Guard could be a better place for me since there are several bases nearby, but I don't have enough information on them yet and don't want to give up what I have already been offered after working hard towards it for a very long time. I believe I could score well on the required exams, but the ANG has a notoriously low acceptance rate for pilot applicants with no prior service.

I feel like I need more information on everything - the Navy, the ANG, and even the difficulties at home - before I can fully decide what to do. If I sign this acceptance memo to Navy Recruiting Command, would it still be possible to apply to the ANG either before OCS starts or after declining it later (if I can), and would it harm my chances at commissioning in another branch if I decline, then feel differently and want to apply for active duty again in a few years? I'd assume the Navy probably wouldn't take me a second time.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
OCS is a voluntary program. Any candidate can quit at any time.

If you don't sign the acceptance letter you will not be going to OCS and very likely won't be given another chance unless you have a very good reason for declining. If you do sign the acceptance letter and then find out that you've been accepted by the ANG or any other branch, you could still choose to back out of OCS. Again, declining would pretty much kill your chances of commissioning in the Navy, but if you've already been accepted by another branch that doesn't really mean much.

Table

OCS is a voluntary program. Any candidate can quit at any time.

If you don't sign the acceptance letter you will not be going to OCS and very likely won't be given another chance unless you have a very good reason for declining. If you do sign the acceptance letter and then find out that you've been accepted by the ANG or any other branch, you could still choose to back out of OCS. Again, declining would pretty much kill your chances of commissioning in the Navy, but if you've already been accepted by another branch that doesn't really mean much.
Thank you, that's really good to know. I thought that was the case, but the wording of the memo made me unsure.