• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR Raw test scores ???

Jay Sullivan

Hi, I recently took the OAR and had a raw score of 46. What exactly dose a raw score of 46 get me as in being competitive ?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What program are you applying for? What is your GPA? Major? School? Kind of hard to determine if you're competitive unless you provide more information...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What program are you applying for? What is your GPA? Major? School? Kind of hard to determine if you're competitive unless you provide more information...
Jay Sullivan, the info requested above, and more... that's what your Profile Information Section is for. Fill it in!:confused:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I second this.

We know from your profile your age so we know you are limited to just a few designators and those that you are limited to a very competitive so degree and GPA are very important, more so than OAR

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
What programs are looking into?

Your combination of GPA, degree and OAR score don't appear too competitive to me.

Renegade One

None
So what is the best way to be competitive? A higher OAR score ?
If I read your Profile Page correctly, you already have your degree from the institution of your choice. Since there are no "do overs" there, I guess, yeah…go "rock" the OAR or the ASTB or whatever hurdles are left for you.

You can't do anything with the runway behind you…make the best of whatever runway remains in front of you. Make sense?

Good luck.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Looking at your profile it looks like you're interested in applying for the Intel/IW/IP (IDC) programs. Either way, having a 3.1 GPA and a 46 OAR score your chances of getting selected are slim to none. All IDC programs are extremely competitive to get selected, in fact there's a fellow OR in my command who has been around for a few years and has yet to get an IDC selected, despite sending dozens of kits to the board. Most folks who apply and get accepted into the IDC programs have ridiculously high GPAs or even master's degrees from top institutions.

By no means am I discouraging you to apply, but just a heads up that you're facing a steep uphill battle of getting selected.

exNavyOffRec

Looking at your profile it looks like you're interested in applying for the Intel/IW/IP (IDC) programs. Either way, having a 3.1 GPA and a 46 OAR score your chances of getting selected are slim to none. All IDC programs are extremely competitive to get selected, in fact there's a fellow OR in my command who has been around for a few years and has yet to get an IDC selected, despite sending dozens of kits to the board. Most folks who apply and get accepted into the IDC programs have ridiculously high GPAs or even master's degrees from top institutions.

By no means am I discouraging you to apply, but just a heads up that you're facing a steep uphill battle of getting selected.

Well said, I would have written the same thing.

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
Well said, I would have written the same thing.
NavyOffRec, the previous statement from Rufio181 was well versed, however; let's take a moment to talk about other mitigating factors when it comes to applicants and selections whether going enlisted or applying for OCS. We (AD/retired) all know the Navy is an equal opportunity institution or at least claims to be... We know that there are "quotas" that have to met for example a certain number of females, minorities, demographics, ect, are we tracking??? This is what keeps our Navy a diverse melting pot of individuals from different sectors of life... So depending upon Jay Sullivan's background and other uncontrollable "mitigating factors," he may very well be a "prime candidate" for the IDC community which happens to be the only one he qualifies for due to age restrictions unless he takes the DCO route... Not trying to start a war with a sensitive topic, just keeping things straightforward and direct, my preferred leadership style...

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

We know that there are "quotas" that have to met for example a certain number of females, minorities, demographics, ect, are we tracking???

yes and no on this, NRC does not have female quotas or minority quotas that they select from, so they won't say we need X females and X minorities from this pool of applicants, what they do however is after the board look at what has been selected, and if the numbers are low in a certain area then they will go "we need to get more AA applicants or more female applicants", on top of this each NRD does have goals for submitting applications for minorities, which should eventual result in a diverse group of selections.

If NRC would have said we need X minorities from this board I would have had many more people selected based on the numbers of diverse candidates I submitted.

FormerRecruitingGuru

NavyOffRec, the previous statement from Rufio181 was well versed, however; let's take a moment to talk about other mitigating factors when it comes to applicants and selections whether going enlisted or applying for OCS. We (AD/retired) all know the Navy is an equal opportunity institution or at least claims to be... We know that there are "quotas" that have to met for example a certain number of females, minorities, demographics, ect, are we tracking??? This is what keeps our Navy a diverse melting pot of individuals from different sectors of life... So depending upon Jay Sullivan's background and other uncontrollable "mitigating factors," he may very well be a "prime candidate" for the IDC community which happens to be the only one he qualifies for due to age restrictions unless he takes the DCO route... Not trying to start a war with a sensitive topic, just keeping things straightforward and direct, my preferred leadership style...

Jay Sullivan could be a black female and I would still say the same thing. Diversity isn't as big as you make it to be.

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
Jay Sullivan could be a black female and I would still say the same thing. Diversity isn't as big as you make it to be.
Thank you for your insight, and for future reference African-American is more politically correct and accepted versus the "black female" expression you used in your in your previous post.