• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OAR/ASTB for OCS

So, I'm taking the OAR/ASTB exams in less than two weeks. Is that enough time to prepare?

Let me give you a little bit of background. I'm 25. I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a 3.45 GPA. I am in my last year of law school, and I do plan on getting barred. I've interned for my District Court and for my Attorney General's Office. I have practiced law under a supervising attorney as a Rule 16 Student Attorney. So, I do have work experience, I suppose. However, I'm not interested in practicing. And not I'm not interested in JAG. I am interested in becoming a Naval Officer, specifically a SWO. I understand that the OAR/ASTB are two tests that are factored in to a general determination - which includes GPA and work experience - as to whether one will accepted into OCS.

With all that stated, what should I shoot for score wise? Should I post-pone the exam to a later time? Are there any online supplements? How should I study? I'd like to just get this out of the way, to be quite honest. I have taken far too many standardize exams.

ole_jerez

I took the OAR with less than a week of preparation. Scored a 54. I would think two weeks is plenty of time to study and touch up on some of the basics.

ab187

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Not very helpful.

Everything ab187 said covers what you need to know to move forward. Good luck with your endeavors.

Also, I recommend clicking "Unwatch Thread" in the top right of this page and never returning to it, because an impending firestorm will incinerate this post if it isn't locked first. :)

exNavyOffRec

So, I'm taking the OAR/ASTB exams in less than two weeks. Is that enough time to prepare?

Let me give you a little bit of background. I'm 25. I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a 3.45 GPA. I am in my last year of law school, and I do plan on getting barred. I've interned for my District Court and for my Attorney General's Office. I have practiced law under a supervising attorney as a Rule 16 Student Attorney. So, I do have work experience, I suppose. However, I'm not interested in practicing. And not I'm not interested in JAG. I am interested in becoming a Naval Officer, specifically a SWO. I understand that the OAR/ASTB are two tests that are factored in to a general determination - which includes GPA and work experience - as to whether one will accepted into OCS.

With all that stated, what should I shoot for score wise? Should I post-pone the exam to a later time? Are there any online supplements? How should I study? I'd like to just get this out of the way, to be quite honest. I have taken far too many standardize exams.

Why did you go to law school if you don't want to practice?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I commend you for trying to be a URL officer before you age out. Plenty of attorneys try to circle back later in life and become an officer - and usually the "cool" thing they attempt to do is DIRCOM for Intel, since the age cap is 42 and "Intel" sounds rad to them.

Don't take the ASTB unless you're applying for NA/NFO.

Study for the OAR and crush it. Then, meet with more than one SWO to learn about SWO life and ask for advice on your application. Then, apply to OCS.

P.S. I hope you don't have much debt from your JD. Ensign pay ain't great. But clearly you aren't in it for the cash, which is admirable.

P.P.S. SWO life = long hours. If you want to take the Bar while your JD is fresh in your mind, that's probably smart - but also keep in mind you'll have to keep up with your CLE while also doing long hours and training for the Navy, etc.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I commend you for trying to be a URL officer before you age out. Plenty of attorneys try to circle back later in life and become an officer - and usually the "cool" thing they attempt to do is DIRCOM for Intel, since the age cap is 42 and "Intel" sounds rad to them.

Don't take the ASTB unless you're applying for NA/NFO.

Study for the OAR and crush it. Then, meet with more than one SWO to learn about SWO life and ask for advice on your application. Then, apply to OCS.

P.S. I hope you don't have much debt from your JD. Ensign pay ain't great. But clearly you aren't in it for the cash, which is admirable.

P.P.S. SWO life = long hours. If you want to take the Bar while your JD is fresh in your mind, that's probably smart - but also keep in mind you'll have to keep up with your CLE while also doing long hours and training for the Navy, etc.

Somewhat bad gouge.

I would recommend the OP take the entire ASTB, he's got nothing to lose and if he does well with the ASTB sections he at least has additional options to consider. If he doesn't do well but does great on the OAR then he can pursue the SWO route.

Ensign pay might not start out at 6 figures, but talking to my legal friends it's certainly more than what most legal folks start right after law school. As for the loans, he can set min payments and have it all wiped out in 10 years.