• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nukes out there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcnike316

Hey I am just starting my junior year and have decided (98% sure anyway) to go to OCS and become a nuke. Does anyone know what test I will be taking (is it any different) and what I should be studying for it? Also, does anyone know the committment length for the NUKE program? Any info is appreciated.

perchul

I may be way off base on this, if you mean Nuke as in the subs the program is called NUPOC and its done through the Navy...if NUKE is a Marine Acronym for some program that I don't know about then I apologize for this post. I have a friend whos going out for NUPOC and his commitment is 5 years and the tests are very different. Navy NUPOCS don't take the ASTB instead there is a test that examines the candidates engineering skills and a series of interviews towards the end. If your going NUPOC go see a recruiter soon because there is a bunch of cash in store for you while your still in school.

jcnike316

Yes I do mean NUPOC, sorry for the miscommunication. Nuke is what a buddy of mine at OCS calls it. I am aware of the cash (and excited for it) but was just wondering whatever other info anyone can give me on it. Thanks.

perchul

well you may want to post in another area of the forum, Marine Corps doesn't have a whole lot of need for Nuclear Propulsion

submariner8

I almost didn't see your post since it was in the Marine Corps area. I'm in the NUPOC program, so I can answer any specific questions you have if you send me a Private Message (PM).

Here is some basic info though. Since you are starting your junior year, I'm assuming you have completed your calculus and physics requirements (depending on your major), so you are good to go as far as applying for the program. If accepted, the Navy will pay you somewhere around $2500 a month to complete your degree. Once finished, you go to OCS for commissioning. Then you go to Nuke power school for 24 weeks, then prototype training where you get hands on reactor experience (also 24 weeks). After this, you either go to submarine officer school or surface school depending on whether you volunteer for submarine duty like myself or go for the aircraft carriers. That is your last step before getting your first assignment in the fleet.

As far as the application process goes, you have to do a Physical Readiness Test (PRT), physical exam, security background check, and a regular application. You also need 3 references and all your transcripts. A competitive GPA is around 3.3/4. After submitting the app and completing the physical, you go on a VIP trip to tour a submarine or surface ship to make sure this is what you want to do. If you make it through initial screening, you are given an interview in Washington D.C. At the interview, you basically do two things. You interview with a minimum of two Naval Reactor engineers, who ask you questions about calculus, physics, and classes in your major. After this, you have an interview with Admiral Bowman, the head of the Nuclear Propulsion Program. Within minutes of completing the interview with the Admiral, you find out if you are accepted to the program or not, and if you are, you go back to the hotel and swear in.

The committment is 5 years from the date you are commissioned, not from when you swear in. The good thing is that the time you spend on active duty while in college gets credited to you, so you are earning leave and service time (which helps with your pay later). By the time you finish college you could have more than a month of leave time earned already. You also get the nice $10,000 signing bonus right away, plus $2,000 when you complete the prototype training. After your initial committment, I believe the yearly signing bonus is $22,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.