• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nuc Interview (2nd Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwannabe2

Guys,

Looking for a little asisstance out there. So I got upscreened for a Nuclear Interview a couple of months ago but when I went up there I was the ONLY one out a interview class of 16 to not get accepted. (Suffice to say as a Computer Engineering major from a top 10 Eng. school (although my GPA is only a 2.6)my ego was completely smashed.) Didnt really brush up on my physics like I should have. Luckily, there letting me give it one more try here in a few weeks. (supposedly they say those who go up twice have a 99% chance of getting in)...dont know how true that is though. Any advice from those who have been through this kind of ordeal? think im more nervous this time, then i was the first time.

thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
did you have 2 interviews, or 3? If you had 3, you were close. Keep this in mind too, the spot is yours to lose. They want and need sub officers, so brush up a bit, and kick the interviews in the teeth.

Troy

That couldn't have been the February 20th interview, could it? I was there and the only instructor candidate, and I didn't get accepted either. I had two good interviews and then one terrible one with some grumpy engineer who acted like he had better things to do. How am I supposed to *instruct* when he's typing away at his computer? Anyway, the admiral said I "wouldn't enjoy" being an instructor and he did offer to have me come back for a second interview, but gave no conditions or what he wanted to see improved. Very puzzling indeed. I heard through a few days later from a commander there that he meant as a sub officer, but that they cut the number of billets for that fiscal year. So, consider yourself lucky they're letting you reinterview. My advice is to study everything on the study guide, and not just the stuff in your major, 'cause I got thrown a major curveball, and above all to ACT CONFIDENT. Good luck!

subwannabe2

I actually went up there on Feb. 13. In order to go up there for a reinterview I acutally had to see a Capt. (CO of a sub i forget the name) to have him evaluate and recommend me for a second chance.....im hoping they just want to see how bad I want the devish thing. Is it true that there not taking many more submarine officers?....

jburnes

a 2.6 gpa? Not to be a jerk, but I'm surprised that they even let you go on a VIP trip much less a 2nd interview up at D.C. My application is getting jerked around right now because the Nuc field hasn't settled on the number of officers they need. I have a 3.4 gpa (physics) and I'm supposedly "on the fence"....but maybe it's different if you hadn't graduated yet...

I wouldn't bank on 99% chance of getting in...i'd bank on knowing how to work problems and not letting the interviewer's attitude affect your performance...

anyway...good luck and I hope you make it.

Troy,
did they give you a toilet paper roll problem? i heard some recruiters on the vip trip i went on talking about this problem...

subwannabe2

Yeah it different for us NROTC folks. Im not NUPOC so I dont need the 3.0. The lowest GPA MIDN they took in last fical year had a 2.07 (told this by my LT) so believe me it's possible...But yeah i know i have an uphill battle....BTW, graduating in two weeks.

big

USNA Class of 2008
How are those interviews anyways? I'm gonna be applying to NUPOC after the Fall semester, but I have good grades and a tech major so I'm hoping I'll get as far as interviews. Just wondering in advance.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
can someone explain to me the toilet paper roll question?

Has anyone had the height of the washington monument on the longest day of the year question?

soonernupoc

I had a question that was kind of out there...at least on the surface. They asked me "How far down into the ocean does a CVN sink" It's really not a hard problem but it did catch me a little off guard. Luckily that guy was extremely cool and that whole interview was pretty straight forward.

big: I'll probably sound like broken rocord, but I'd say to simply study the guide they give you and to try and relax when you're in there. Also, do at leaste one practice interview before you go. I did a practice with my girlfriend and got lucky enough for them to ask me on of the exact questions she asked me :).

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
was the answer: "All the way"

that's like how far will a helo take you with no gas? All the way to the scene of the crash.

soonernupoc

Not sunk as in going to the bottom of the ocean but sunk in the sense of when you put it down into the water, how far up the hull will the waterline be.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ie Archimedes Principle.... gee I learned something in dive school.... now wheres the "any" key...

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
depends on how much stuff is on it. more stuff = sits lower in the water. how did you answer?

oh, how about this one.

an anchor is sitting in a boat in a bathtub. throw the anchor overboard, will the water level of the tub rise or fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.