• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nsi

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I was just wondering what to expect at NSI and how is the training? Any information would be great.

Thanks!

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I did NSI back in '99, seems like forever ago. But, I do remember it wasn't all that bad. The first few weeks suck, Marine DI's etc. Then you start classes. Pretty regimented as I recall. Up at 6, PT, get some chow class from 8-12, lunch, Class from 13-1630. More chow, mando study from 18-2030, lights out at 2100. Repeat about 60 times. Towards the last couple weeks it relaxed quite a bit, with saturday liberty in Newport. I also remember going to Boston to see the Constitution as a group which was fun. Rhode Island is awesome.

PS Good luck and get used to goose sh*t.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I did NSI back in '99, seems like forever ago. But, I do remember it wasn't all that bad. The first few weeks suck, Marine DI's etc.

Uhhhhh...maybe things were and are different...but when I went to NSI there were no Marine DI's. Classes started day 3.

ibarrasergio33

I went through NSI back in 2004. The best advice I remember getting was to get used to running on the track between the buildings before a graded PRT (or PFA whatever they are calling it). Winter weather along with the vicious wind that seems to blow directly in your face no matter which way you are running can make the graded run difficult. Even strong runners in the class felt that the weather and wind made a significant difference. My advice to you is the same as I was given a few years back; arrive a few days early if possible and run it on your own a couple of times so that you know what you are getting into before the graded evolution. This holds true especially during the winter months.
Besides that, NSI is challenging but not too bad. Stay away from the NAPS kids on the floor below you and keep yourself out of trouble when you go out in town and you should be fine.
I can't remember much about the academics except for Navigation class. The instructors were pretty good at their job and the tests were all multiple choice. Sea Power was on the verge of a major overhaul so I am sure that it has evolved since I was there. Stay focused and you should be fine.
Good Luck.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Uhhhhh...maybe things were and are different...but when I went to NSI there were no Marine DI's. Classes started day 3.

Well, if that's the case now, NSI is going to be that much more an enjoyable experience.

chet

fyi

When I went I did the "go getter" deal and bought EVERYTHING ahead of time just to realize that you do NOT need everything on the list of stuff the recommend for you to buy. Chances are that you already have everything you need on the list. It wouldn't hurt to get new white t-shirts and such but there are uniform items that you already have that you can still use...assuming they are still in good shape.

A lot of people went out and spent a great deal of money on items they already had and didn't really use. For example, the rain coat. I never used mine other than in boot camp so it still looked great. When I was there and found out that we would have to buy it and include it in our locker for inspection I went and picked mine up. Lucky me I was stationed in Groton, CT so it wasn't too hard to do. Others coming from WA, CA, etc didn't have that luxury.

Other than saving money the only other real tip is to realize that you are giving up your rank to become an officer. You don't need to forget where you come from just realize where you are headed. The goal of NSI is to build a team so be a team player. If you want to be cool and not participate in the events, sing along with cadence, whatever...then go back to high school.

As part of being a team player you may have the opportunity to help others succeed in the classroom stuff...please do so. I come from an engineering background and helped others get through the engr'ing material. The OS rates helped me with mo-boards...A LOT!!