• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC various questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanw5348j

Hey I'm a junior in high school. My current GPA is about 3.6, but I have no extra curricular activities. Does that make it harder for me to get into NROTC? I have started flight training for a civilian license and I should have one before my senior year. Does anyone know if having a pilot's license makes you more competetive for a pilot slot? My other question is that I'm almost 17 and I'm about 6'4", is there a real big problem with being tall? Everything else medical I'm fine.

Thanks
Sean

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Ok, first thing is that for the scholarship you should have some sort of extra curricular activities. The Navy looks for well-rounded people. Which means sports, clubs, or jobs. If you just want to be part of a NROTC Unit and dont want a scholarship then its not as big of a deal. A pilots license has no bearing on your competitiveness for a flight slot. If it did, then people who couldnt afford flight training would be at a disadvantage. When you get sent to flight school the Navy equalizes that out anyhow with IFS. The main factors in getting a flight slot are whether or not you are physically qualified, your grades, your extra curricular activities, your ASTB score, and your NROTC Unit's impression of you. If they dont think you can hack it or whatever, then they wont put in a recommendation for you or try as hard. As for the being tall part, that depends on what aircraft you want to fly. The Navy has restrictions on different aircraft depending on what the cockpit accomodates, and what type of person certain ejection seats will work with. When you take your aviation physical, they will measure your height, arm length, sitting height, etc. I do not know what the limits are as far as aircraft, but my friend at VMI was 6'4" or something close to that, and he had to submit a waiver for his height.

Gary

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Your extra flight training won't make a difference for the scholarship or the selection for flight. It basically comes down to your college grades and ASTB score combined with your CO's reccomendation (most give it unless you are a really aweful mid). Extra curriculars are good but grades are the most important. When I applied for ROTC in my sophmore year, they took one look at my GPA and handed me the paperwork. That says something. Just keep your grades up and things should go ok.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Don't get discouraged if you do not get a scholarship right off the back. Anyone can join NROTC in college, and if you are a good performer (ie involved in the battalion, good grades and you show potential) you will most likely pick up a scholarship after your first semester.

As far as getting the scholarship out of high school. It is tough if you do not have a great deal of extra curricular activities, but not impossible. The reason for this is that being an officer, requires you to multitask A LOT! So if you can not be good at multiple tasks, you may not do well as an officer.

I had my pilots cert. before I graduated highschool as well. It does not make a bit of difference in getting designated a student naval aviator. Your major will help(technical majors get a bit of a boosted score), your grades, ASTB only matters that you passed it these days and what your unit staff thinks of you. The license will initially help you in flight school, but after about 4 flights, people are caught right back up to you.

Dupe

Having a your PPL does, to a minor extent, help you out to get a pilot seat in AFROTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.