• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspy007

I'm a junior in High School and am looking at the academy and NROTC....as far as NROTC goes, does anyone have any insight in to which units provide the best trainning. I'm looking at Texas A&M, Virgina Tech and Norwich.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Those are the ones with Corps of Cadet-style training. If that's really your thing, also think of The Citadel and VMI. However, the biggest thing you can take out of college, even if you are planning to stay in the military, is a good degree. Look for the college with the best program in the field you want to study that also has NROTC, either by itself or through cross-enrollment. Penn, MIT, Duke, and Cornell all have NROTC, for example.

snizo

Supply Officer
I agree with phrogdriver -- pick the school with the best program for what you are interested in studying. Units at schools with top ranked programs generally have better luck with service selection (the Navy knows which schools have top ranked ____ degrees and take that in to consideration). Besides ... then not only do you get in to a good unit, but you also get a degree with MIT/Duke/GaTech/etc's name on it.

aggieecp

LONGBOARDS RULE!!!
bigspy007 ,

As a Texas A&M graduate, I would have to say that you can't go wrong with choosing that school. It does depend on what you are wanting to major in that will determine where to go.

BTW there are 2 ROTC units at A&M (Main campus and one at TAMU Galveston).

zachary2777

Banned
Go Cornell!

Anyways, the schools you listed aren't like other ROTC units. They are closer to the academy type experience than a regular unit. If you want that, that's cool but if you want some closer to a regular college life then check out some other places.

I saw Norwich's drill team at a competition and they were awesome. Their trick drill team was amazing. They beat the USNA and the USMA.

Good luck.

-Zak

Status
Not open for further replies.