• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

juiceman

Im a junior in highschool ,my gpa is a 2.5 my testing is awsome and im in alot of leadership positions,sat 1400. The question is does the nrotc board count your senior year.
I need that year to pull my gpa up. also if nrotc scholarship doesn't work. could i go to the reserves and still do NROTC to become an officer
somebody help me !!!!
banghead_125.gif

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
2.5 is going to kill. You apply in your junior year. Even if you do not get the scholarship you can still join the unit and pick one up after your first semester of college. I would not reccomend joining the reserves just to get into ROTC, it will push back you college grad date A LOT. Just inquire with the unit recruiting officer about the College Program at their unit. That is the best and quickest way to get a scholarship if you did not get it right out of high school.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I had the same problem you did. I didn't have the grades to get the scholarship. So I waited until I got to school and once I worked my tail off for a year, they gave me the scholarship. I recently was commissioned so if you want to do ROTC, it's completely possible. Hang in there and good luck. One other note, get at least a 3.5 your freshman year in college and they will HAVE to take you. They will not look at your high school scores once they see that you have an A average in college level classes. Plus, your freshman year is pretty much filled with general education requirements so getting A's won't be too difficult. Good luck.

At my school, they didn't even ask me for GPA since I'm only a College Programmer, not on scholarship. My NROTC office recommended just participating in the College Program and applying for the scholarship when I'm eligible.

And if you want to be a Naval aviator ASAP, enlisting would only slow you down, right?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, well this isn't straight from the horse's mouth but this would be a competitive profile. 3.7 GPA (unweighted). On average a 28-36 ACT score. I don't know what that translates into for the SAT but you can find that out. Extra curriculars are good but not required. Also, a REALLY good interview is required. Generally the recruiters see a million kids a week so try to stand out. You probably need to graduate at least in the top 20% of your class. I hope this helps.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Basically anyone who gets an NROTC 4 year scholarship is gonna:
-have good grades (i'd say proly 3.3 or above)
-have a decent SAT/ACT score (i'd say 1300 and up, with at least 650 math)
-be involved with extracurricular/leadership organizations

just about everyone here in the GT unit in my freshman class fits these credentials.
if you don't get the scholarship, DO COLLEGE PROGRAM

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
just an advice... even if you do bad on the college program, DON'T BE DISCOURAGED AND LEAVE!!! i made a horrible mistake of leaving, and now, i have to compete for the 2-year/BDCP... dammit!!!

Ice Man

Goplay - you said that you need really good interview and you need to stand out. What would make a really good interview and help me stand out. I've got my interview coming up and I'm pretty nervous.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Well, generally you just need to be confident. Obviously you are a smart kid to be going to college, so think what would make interview go well. They ask you some pretty cliche questions. If they interview at the recruiting district, then you will never see that person again so just think what the right answer to the questions would be. As long as you don't fall flat on your face, you'll be fine. I am in recruiting right now and we schedule about 7-10 interviews at a time so as long as you don't really screw up, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to explain away that GPA. Hope this helps.

confused_pilot

Alight, am I the only one here confused as to how you got a 1400 SAT with a 2.5?!@ just like colleges that doesnt look good to ROTC, shows you dont apply yourself. I wouldnt reccomend the reserves, just go do college program somewhere and pick up a retro sophmore scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.