• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC master's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmony Boy

Originally posted by Harmony Boy
**Finish in four-and-a-half (or four-and-a-third) years: Another option is to take a personal leave of absence for one semester/quarter, but continue to take classes (often at another university, which can be cheaper). Since the Navy “owes” you four full years of tuition, this gives you an extra quarter/semester to finish up your graduate school.
**Graduate School LOA: A relatively obscure section of the NROTC Administrative Manual (NAM) notes that one can apply for a year’s LOA in order to pursue graduate studies. As you are on leave of absence, it is up to you to pay for tuition and living expenses. You have to send in a copy of your acceptance letter to the graduate program, as well as a letter from the CO, at the start of your 1/C year.
I don't know if you didn't read this post or what, but I think it can apply to the two-year degree as well.

James

Tessone

What I mean is that I would receive the MA and the BA at the same time. So not trying to dupe the Navy--just trying to arrange things so that I can both satisfy the requirements for being in NROTC *and* get an MA. I was already open about this being a goal in my email to the unit CO and MOI, so if it's not "above board", it won't happen. I'm not going to start my career in the Corps by lying to the gov't (or hiding the truth). :)

We'll have to see what happens. It might just be too late to transfer (too many credits).

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chris:

Okay, that makes sense. Please don't think I was saying you were trying to lie or do anything wrong. I was just trying to come at it at an angle that would make that clear to the unit. Sounds like that should work for you then.

James (Harmony):

Uh, to be honest, no I didn't read that part. Sorry about that, that was good gouge. I'm less than 2 weeks from deploying, so I can only read bits and pieces at a time at work. It's been a few years since I've had to think about the NAM, so didn't realize that was in there.

Keep us posted, Chris.

Dave_A

AF does it (Allows grad students who allready have their Bachelor's degrees to be ROTC cadets), as the local Det. commander was trying to recruit me into this program as an alternative to OTS (I applied for OTS anyhow, found out my eyes were screwed (20/20 UC, but bad DP), and decided I might be better off USN), but I don't know about NROTC...

quickandsure

Each graduating class from USNA, 25 of the top graduates are allowed to go directly to Graduate school for up to two years. Full pay and allowances and you get promoted to LT(jg) on schedule, e.g., 24 months after graduation from USNA. Three for one payback, but concurrent with other obligations. Must get admitted to school and obtain a scholarship. Each year several folks go off to MIT for their MS (or SM in MIT lingo) directly from USNA, as well as many other schools.

I understand NROTC has a similar rpt similar program. Check it out, do not miss an opportunity. Be (keep) informed. Take the high road, less traveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.