• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC grads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayManC

okay so here's the deal, im close to wrapping up my first semester of my junior year. And the way things are going im trying to find alternatives to OCS if i dont get in. do you know if it is possible to pick up ROTC this late in the game (ie: second semester junior)?
I know that if you start at the beginning of your junior year they will send you to RI to catch you up but i dont know about when is the cut off to be eligible for a commission.

<insert something witty here:>

ghost_ttu

I know for the Air Force, if you were to do that Jay, you would need to extend you degree another semester or go grad school for a semester. You have to be in ROTC for 2 years to be commissioned for the AF. I don't know how the Navy works though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For NROTC, you'd have to extend your degree for another year. CNET wants you to have two years for the College Program.

ghost_ttu

Gator, that would only have him extending another semester, he would go into NROTC Spring 03, Fall 04, (graduate college if you do graduate work, or extend your college another semester), (during the summer I'm sure you go to some kind of basic), and then you have Fall 04 and commission in Dec. 04 (that would be 4 semesters = 2 years) That is how the AF does it anyway, I could be wrong on NROTC.

gliderplt

JayManC,

AFROTC has a 1 year proram. you'll go to Field Training for 7 weeks vs 4 weeks for the 4 year guys. And you'll have to double up on the AFROTC classes. It's worth looking into. good luck

ghost_ttu

Just remember on the 1 year program that you CAN NOT be commissioned into a rated position. (ie pilot, nav)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ghost:

Unfortuneately, that's not how CNET does it (normally anyway...maybe some jedi mind trick will make it happen). They get real anal on when you go up to Rhode Island because you get all the classes and indoc one gets his first two years in NROTC. Also, once you start your junior year, classes aren't really "modular." Nav is your junior year, and you can't really take Nav II before Nav I. Now I'm not saying that someone can't make this work, but it'd require some creative class scheduling, and you usually don't find that much help from CNET (and probably the unit) by that point in your college career.

Just to make sure I'm understanding the dates...You would finish fall02, and let's say they don't let you play spring03, so you'd go to Newport in summer03 and start NROTC in fall03. This would be your first 2nd class semester. Then you'd do the second sememster of nav in spring04 (when you would normally graduate). That would leave two more semesters of Navy classes you'd have to do. You might be able to try and double up your two senior Navy classes for another semester (fall04) and then graduate, which is what I think Ghost was getting at, but I think College Program is two year program. The other catch is that you couldn't graduate when you were planning, and then do some grad school work while you finish up NROTC. There's a specific rule that NROTC is an Undergraduate commissioning program. We had several people come in that tried to work that angle, but we'd have to tell them no.

Again, I don't mean to be completely negative. There may be a way to work it out, but historically, it usually doesn't happen that way. I'd look into the doubling of senior classes, but you'd have to ask the specific NROTC unit about that, and probably have to run that by the XO and CO.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
!DISCLAIMER! Always an exception to the rule: Devin, what about that MECEP who got his Masters degree on the sly while we were there, and oh so conveniently forgot to sign his enlistment extension, and got out?
icon_smile.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, okay. There's always a way, believe me I know. But he doesn't want to get out!
icon_smile.gif
I must have missed that one. Who was it? Since all the Gyrines were on the "other" side of the building, I didn't hear too much about stuff like that. Actually, I avoided that stuff
icon_smile_wink.gif

Let me reiterate! I wasn't saying it wasn't possible, just saying how "the system" works. Once you know that, you can figure out how to beat it!

Tessone

JayManC,

Ever thought about the Marines? I'm a junior too, and I'm going to PLC-combined this summer. 10 weeks and I am commissioned at graduation a year later, and I'll have a guaranteed air contract. Just a thought--don't know how set you are on going Navy.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

BAChaney

JayManC, I just graduated from The Citadel and had a 4 year scholarship, but I have friends who picked them up as late as their senior year. So there is hope.

Blake A. Chaney

Status
Not open for further replies.