• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC 4-Yr. Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYPASS

When in the world will I find out if I received a 4-yr. scholarship? I had everything in this summer, including my interview.

Dickwest83

Check the NROTC website https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

They have a section where you can check your online status by entering in your DOB and SSN.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
You need to calm down. Often, it takes time for these things to happen. Remember, this is the government. Nothing happens fast.

BYPASS

Thanks DickWest! I have been checking the website...nothing so far. Yes goplay, you're right. Hurry up and wait is just the way it works.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It may take until April of 2004 before you are notified. So be patient. In the mean time, take the time to make sure you are in shape...Get some...PT..Good for you..good for me...Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

seriously...PT your ass off if you can't already pass the Navy PFT standards. Trust me. And find out from your school's unit once things are finalized if they have their own standards for the PFT.

billiken2002

pilot
I didnt find out about my scholarship until April or so when I received it. So just relax and enjoy your senior year. And that is true about PFT standards. Across the board, the minimum is a Good Low, however my unit requires everyone to get a Good Medium, so that no one is close to failing Navy standards. Which unit are you planning to go to?

billiken2002

pilot
I didnt find out about my scholarship until April or so when I received it. So just relax and enjoy your senior year. And that is true about PFT standards. Across the board, the minimum is a Good Low, however my unit requires everyone to get a Good Medium, so that no one is close to failing Navy standards. Which unit are you planning to go to?

BYPASS

Billiken - I've applied to VTech, GaTech & VMI. It sounds like you have to be accepted to a college first before the scholarship is issued, even though they say one can be issued before. I believe it's just those with Immediate Scholarship Decision that are given the scholarships before finding out about acceptance. Did you visit with the unit you're at now before you found out if you were accepted and before receiving your scholarship?

Dickwest83

Bypass, you do not first have to be accepted to a school to win a scholarship. In the acceptance letter, it will say that final determination of your scholarship requires you gaining admission to the university that it's assigned to.

jono0220

BYPASS, I was awarded the scholarship to Ole Miss, but wanted to go to Tulane instead. I found out about my scholarship way before I figured out where I wanted to go. I wound up doing NROTC at Tulane, but since I didn't have the scholarship, I had to wait until after my freshman year to pick a 3 year scholarship up. This was way back in 1997-98.

I wound up giving up NROTC and not applying for the 3 year, figuring that if the Navy was what I wanted to do, then I could always go to OCS. Five years later, after an ok job and plans to go to law school, I realized it was a huge mistake to not pursue a scholarship because I really want to be a naval officer and fly. I am in the process of applying for OCS as a SNA right now.

If you want to be a pilot, then do NROTC since us schmucks applying for OCS only get the leftover slots after the academy and NROTC have their say. It is the best of both worlds. You get a good "normal" education for free and you get comissioned the same way as an academy midshipman...and go to the best school you can get into since the Navy will pay for an excellent civillian education.

BYPASS

Thanks Jono! Just chuggin' along here waiting to hear something. It looks as though I'll find out about college acceptance before I ever hear anything about the scholarship. GaTech says I should know something in a few weeks, and that was a week ago. I guess it's because they don't require 1st semester grades from seniors like a lot of colleges do. They probably figure that between your freshman and junior years and SAT/ACT scores they've got enough on you to make a decision.

MrTorso

Everyone is right so far. You'll find out about the scholarship April/May '04. Go NROTC if you want to do anything. My NROTC unit officially requires a Good Low for the PFA but you're put on a remedial program (4 days of PT a week vs 2) if you get too fat and slow. Also if you're thinking of the Marine Aviation go PLC two 6weeks of OCS in the summer but nothing during the year.Depends on what you want to do. If you want a social life or a life outside of NROTC go to a state university vs an academy. They get seniority by a day when we commission but they eat sleep breath the military life all the way through their Jr. year. Good luck either way. Semper Fidelis.

MrTorso

When I said anything in the post above I meant anything besides aviation. OCS candidates do get the leftovers when it comes to stuff outside aviation. Navy works different versus the Marine Corps. Have fun and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.