• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ from OCS

KALDTW

My friend is currently at OCS...there seems to be an issue with the cartilage in his elbow...he can't do push-ups because of this and there is talk that they may NPQ him. He was BCDP(Nuke)...

Shouldn't MEPS have caught this? I haven't heard exactly what happened for him to be pulled from his training command...but he did make it through more than one In PFA (he rolled on the first one) and Wake-up Wednesday with his new class and into week 2 before they seriously took a look at it and moved him from his training company.

Just a little concered that it took them that long to realize something was wrong and now the doctor's say it will not get any better....

torpedo0126

Here is another scary story--The ENS who was in charge of FltMngmt when I arrived was NPQed when she got here because she didn't have peripheral vision.

I felt awful for her because that should have been caught a long time ago. I underwent 2 flight physicals before commissioning and then 2 within the last four months (NAMI and annual). I would be so pissed if something wasn't caught through all of that.

The point of all this is crap like that does happen.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Shouldn't MEPS have caught this? I haven't heard exactly what happened for him to be pulled from his training command...but he did make it through more than one In PFA (he rolled on the first one) and Wake-up Wednesday with his new class and into week 2 before they seriously took a look at it and moved him from his training company.
If your friend didn't put it down on his medical forms, had no prior documented history of elbow pain, and told the docs that he felt a-ok, it's pretty likely that he'd get right through MEPS.

KALDTW

Not sure what caused it, he was in the Army Reserves so I think it might have been an injury which occurred at OCS...and if it was an issue before, I'm sure he didn't say anything about it (good point on that one- no reason to look at something that doesn't cause a complaint).

I just feel bad that he's hanging around Newport waiting for them to give him his options...he sounded open to the instructor position but wasn't sure if that was an option...just something someone mentioned to him up there.

srqwho

pilot
My friend is currently at OCS...there seems to be an issue with the cartilage in his elbow...he can't do push-ups because of this and there is talk that they may NPQ him. He was BCDP(Nuke)...

Just a little concered that it took them that long to realize something was wrong and now the doctor's say it will not get any better....

I know this guy... he was in my class. From what I gathered from being around him, when he started complaining about it things were pretty mild and when he went to see the doc he wasn't under the impression that there was something seriously wrong, but that it was maybe just one of those 'OCS' pains. Everybody has pain in one joint or another while they are there, but you have to know when to draw the line and see medical. Everybody is terrified of getting rolled, or worse NPQ'd... so they don't see medical and end up really screwing themselves. I'm not sure if this was the case with this particular OC though.

On a side note... I remember the day this guy got back from medical with his chit that said that he couldn't do push-ups. The DI took a look at it and said "Good to go... run in place.":D