• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Now that Bates Lightweights are banned, what boots?

johnjacob

Hello,
I currently go to USF and am contracted with an NFO slot. I am going to PLC this summer and had a question about boots. I tried using the search function but all the threads that came up were before Bates were banned from OCS. Some half-trained Candidates I know suggested that to break in a pair of Bates Lightweights and wear those during PT and timed courses. He also suggested keeping the ICBs for Inspection and wearing the jungle boots for everything else. So my basic question is, what boots are good for PFT instead of Bates Lightweights. Thanks for your help.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I have used these (the ones here are a newer version than I have, but I think they are substantially the same). They are pretty lightweight and have a good traction sole (unlike the Lites).

Where's the reference that says they're banned?

Dunno why I felt compelled to go on the ocs.usmc.mil website and find this information out, but here it is.

81montedriver

pilot
If you can't wear Bates Lites then the Jungles are good for PT events. I had bought Bates Lites halfway through OCS because everyone hyped them up so much. I have only worn them a handful of times since then. I ran all of the PT events at OCS and TBS with the Jungles. They may not be as lightweight as the Bates, but they are lightweight enough and they have far better traction. This will come in handy when you have to run the O-course after it has rained or any other course where there is lots of mud.

b0pric01

pilot
Yeah, I wore the Bates lites one time during the O-course and slipped off the rope about 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way up. Not a good day. Luckily I wore my jungles for the actual graded course and thereafter. I did like the lites for the runs, but not much else.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Man, I typed the first post, and it said it didn't go through, so I typed another one. Now I just look like I'm all super zealous about talking about boots - and I'm not...at best I'm only mildly zealous on the topic of footwear.

I would save my money and make due with the boots that are issued to you. Two pairs of boots is enough to get through OCS. Having a third pair of boots was really only nice to stow away and wear only for inspections. I did like my bates lights at OCS, but you lose traction in them, and they aren't particularly ideal for O course events. I ran the E course in my ICBs, they felt fine.