• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2008 Lateral Transfer Board

OCEberle

I guess I should re-introduce myself to everyone here first:

My name is ENS Brian Eberle...currently SWO in training on USS Rentz (FFG 46). I got commissioned JAN 07, so I'm coming up on LTJG pretty soon and still don't have my SWO pin. Things there have been a little difficult. I've been in for nearly 12 years...the first 10 as an AT. Got selected for STA-21 and the only thing I wanted to do was be an AMDO. I had great officers on the Stennis to look up to (CDR Curt Shanahan, CDR Art Pruett, and LCDR Paul Choate to name a few) but I got sent SWO.

I put in my lateral transfer package for this November board, even though I don't yet have my SWO pin. Not even completely sure I understand how the process works. Here come all the questions. Does the board have my package to even consider? I included a waiver request since I do not have my SWO pin. I called NPC Customer service and they did receive my package on September 8th, but could the SWO community have disapproved my waiver and my package not be there for the board to consider? Could anyone tell me when I should expect to see the NAVADMIN with the results to come out in message traffic? The biggest question I think I have is that if I'm not selected, how can I get some feedback on how to make my package better for the June board?

I wish I could have included something in my package along the lines of "I can't wait to get stationed in Lemoore!" I'm sure I'd get a "random" urinalysis upon arrival though. :confused:

That's all I have for now. Looking forward to reading some replies!

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
The board is at work right now. The person who would know the status of your package is LCDR Jaramillo. He's in the global.

Bevo16

pilot
The biggest question I think I have is that if I'm not selected, how can I get some feedback on how to make my package better for the June board?

You could get your SWO pin.

If you somehow managed to secure a lateral transfer without getting that done, you could sell copies of that package for $1,000 a pop around SWO land. I have know a lot of prior enlisted officers (and look at one in the mirror every morning, so hold your fire) who think that they are going to get a lot of special treatment because of their prior enlisted time. Virtually every one gets the same response "Sorry shipmate, you wanted to be an officer. Now you have to play by the rules."

There were severarl prior enlisted SNA's in my flight school class who DOR'd or washed out and were shown the door for failing to get their wings. No second chance. No re-do.

If you are not getting to do what you want to do because you have not done what you HAVE to do, then check your boxes first and the paperwork will take care of itself.

"SWO sucks, I hate it, please pretty please let me do something else." does not usually work.

I know that sounds harsh, but the facts are that if you are not selected, it's not going to be because the paperwork was not pretty enough. It's going to be because you do not qualify. You have to improve your qualifications.

Good luck.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, when I redes'ed out of SWOdom, they wouldn't even entertain the idea unless I had my pin. Dunno if that's changed now in the post-SWOSDOC era, but I doubt it. The board will at least want to see you gave your original community it's money's worth before you bail. Being prior-whatever buys you no yams.

OCEberle

I totally understand the whole prior thing buys no favors whatsoever. The reason that I'm not qualified yet is that I'm having major problems getting OOD Underway qualified. I've stood my murder boards and done VERY well on all knowledge items. The problem is the decision making. I'm not doing well with the quick thinking on my feet situations where I have to react in that 30 seconds during an emergency before the CO gets up to the bridge. I'm still working hard at it and making some progress, but those situations are not easy and they don't come as quickly to me as some of my peers have gotten it.

Please do not misconstrue my intention. I have every intention of getting my pin ASAP. My motivation, from the start, is to do what I HAVE to do so that I can do what I WANT to do later. I put in my package early because there is no law that says that I can't. The worst that can happen is that I do not get selected, so why not put in the request? I'm just not familiar at all with the board process, and what happens to the packages once they're received in Millington, so I figured I'd tap the knowledge base here.

Mouse36

Well good luck to you in getting selected. I've applied for a second time and I was told that the board didn't even look at my package last time because of numbers. I'm a prior AT1 and I'm also suffering through the life that is SWO. I haven't heard of anyone being selected without their SWO pin unless they couldn't get the qualification in the allotted time. I did my first (DCA) and second divo (NAV) tours on FFG's so if you need any help with that OOD qual let me know. It is a steep learning curve going from enlisted Airdale to Surface Officer. It's a whole different mentality but you'll make it. Just hoping the planets align and I get selected this time. Hopefully I can get back to where I belong. Don't really know if I can handle two Dept Head SWO tours before I retire.

JNAC Man

Might anyone know the numbers for 1525s? I have applied through the DCO Program. I know the Board is meeting as I type this. Just curious to get a feel for the number of Reserve AMDOs, applicants, and the number of selectees this cycle. Thank you.

R/Steve Doty

BigRed389

None
Other than the missing SWO pin, the biggest hiccup is that IIRC, the last Lat Xfer instruction table showed only 1-2 guys being released from SWO for FY07.

JNAC Man

Thanks Mouse. I was looking for 1525 Board numbers. I exchanged email with LCDR Jaramillo and he let me know there were no manning requirements for 1525, so none were selected. I am standing by, determining my next move. Thanks again.

Mouse36

He said there were no pick ups for 1525? The quota listing had pick ups for 152X. There was even one for my YG03. Strange, I'll have to fire him off an email and see what's up.

OCEberle

Days of Reckoning

Well good luck to you in getting selected. I've applied for a second time and I was told that the board didn't even look at my package last time because of numbers. I'm a prior AT1 and I'm also suffering through the life that is SWO. I haven't heard of anyone being selected without their SWO pin unless they couldn't get the qualification in the allotted time. I did my first (DCA) and second divo (NAV) tours on FFG's so if you need any help with that OOD qual let me know. It is a steep learning curve going from enlisted Airdale to Surface Officer. It's a whole different mentality but you'll make it. Just hoping the planets align and I get selected this time. Hopefully I can get back to where I belong. Don't really know if I can handle two Dept Head SWO tours before I retire.

Well the day of reckoning is upon me. I am going to be non-attained. Mouse, I hope you got it, man. As for me, I'm trying to find LCDR Paul Choate. He knows my work ethic and character and I was hoping he might be willing to write a letter of recommendation on my part, based on his observation as my divo back in the day. I knew this was coming, and so did my CO. I'd do the same thing if I were in his position, although I still feel that I could be a good OOD. I'm feeling kind of like I'm a victim of my chain of command not sticking up for me, but at the same time, the Navy kind of gave me a "Piss Off" when I got commissioned by sending me SWO after four full years of trying to go AMDO, and I just want to get on with my life.

I'll be a LTJG within a week and I'm incredibly nervous as to what the future holds. I'd like to include at least two letters of recommendation with my non-attain package so that I can be given a real shot at getting the community I've applied for time and time again and have been given the shaft because it's not within the guidelines of the program. My CO has told me that he will support me 100% in trying to stay in the Navy as well as trying to get AMDO, and every depatrment head at my command agrees that I'm not a washout, but that my strengths just simply lie in another community.

Long story short, if anyone can help me, I sure could use some right about now.

Thanks,
Brian

Bevo16

pilot
Well the day of reckoning is upon me. I am going to be non-attained..... I'm feeling kind of like I'm a victim of my chain of command not sticking up for me, but at the same time, the Navy kind of gave me a "Piss Off" when I got commissioned by sending me SWO after four full years of trying to go AMDO....

You have to much time in the Navy to whine like a petulant child.

The Navy did not tell you to "piss off" when they sent you to be a SWO. They were telling you to "Get to work." and prove that you could be part of the operational Navy. Honestly, it sounds like you spent way to much time trying to figure a way out of your current job rather than just doing it.

Good luck with the LOR from the LCDR (and you might not want to put his name on here). No offense to the esteemed hinges on here, but if a LOR is going to carry any weight with a board, it is usually written by an O-6 or a Flag Officer.