• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
I forgot to add: on the other hand, I myself do not cheat, lie, or steal. And I'm sure I can get A's in the college if I concentrate on academics. The recruiter [who I hadn't told much about me since I was visiting with that friend] suggested that the longer I wait, the harder it is to get into some programs. He also said that to get into the Academy I should have applied during Junior year in HS and that now, my best bet is to get into the Navy Nuke school first and then the Academy from the inside.

Pete

Being a graduate of the Naval Academy, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can:

Vision is not a big deal for the academy, unless you really want to be a pilot then you'll need at least 20/30.

I do not know much about BDCP so I can't answer those questions, but I believe if you concern yourself with balancing your time between academics, athletics, AND activities you will be a good candidate for the academy.

Now, as for your friend, he is not your problem. If he is as "immoral" as you claim, he won't make it through the academy, or very far in a Navy career. BUT he should not be your concern - he will get in or not on his own merits, and you neither have the foresight nor the authority to judge whether or not he should be at the Academy.

The academy demands more than just simple concentration on academics, it requires an ability to juggle many responsibilities and many commitments (academics, professional, and athletic) at the same time. If you have any doubts about being able to handle this, then the academy is most likely not a good idea for your first choice.

My final advice is to relax abit, do your best at this point, because whatever you've done before is done with, and have some freakin' KCF.

'01 in Meridian

jaerose

BDCP is a good deal. It just depends on how what you want to do and how badly. I agree that you need to stop worrying about your friend. That person might mature and do really well, or get caught and get stuck...either way you don't want to dwell on them because if that's as far as you can focus, then you won't get past it (or farther in your life). You really need to focus on your goals and work on improving yourself.

From a personal standpoint, I was 22 when I went into BDCP (I transferred schools and then changed majors from Bio/Chem to Physics), so it's not really that old. Plus, I'll be maxed out at the O-1 paygrade after OCS. Yeah, there will be younger people in my OCS class, but there will be older as well. It really just means that I have a little more life experience and hopefully that will translate into leadership. Oh, if you want to go to an academy...you might also look into the Merchant Marine Academy (search the forums). Anyway, assess your goals, make a plan to get there and then follow it to the letter! Best of luck.

JR

"I saw Blue and he looked GLORIOUS!"

NuSnake

"We're goin streaking....who is??...theyre comin"........Get in the car...ok honey

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

room5047

Hooyah, Integer,

Yep, according to the USNA Honor Concept, "Midshipmen are persons of honor. They do not lie, cheat, or steal." The honor system is student-run and, as Pete implied, is no joke. The best Academy midshipmen strive never to do two things: violate the Honor Concept, which rules your buddy out; and obsess over what the shipmates are doing, so just make sure you're where you want to be and let him sort himself out (or not).

As for what you should do, listen, everybody has an opinion as to the "best" commissioning source. As a former USNA mid, friend of ROTC grads, and current OCS applicant, I can tell you that they all have unique advantages and drawbacks, and they're all tough as hell to get into these days. (BTW, one big drawback to OCS/BDCP is that many warfare designations are bureacratically "closed" to those applicants more often, whereas graduating midshipmen always compete for open billets in surface, nuke sub/surface, pilot, nfo, or Marine!)

I'd say to try for as many different sources as you can, improving as much as you can all along, and letting everybody you know or meet hear how serious you are about getting in. Where you're from matters about 2% once you get into the fleet; the lessons you absorbed while you were there are infinitely more important.

show me your WAARRRR face!

room5047

PS on the USNA Honor Concept: There is no "non-toleration" clause at Annapolis. The other Academies stipulate that you MUST tell on someone whom you believe broke the Code, or else you too are considered equally dishonorable. The Naval Academy gives mids a degree of autonomy (through a defined set of alternatives to turning seomone in) in determining whether a violation was committed and in counseling or remediating a violator. Less emphasis on "zero-defect" and more on moral learning and righting wrongs. But don't let that make you think they're soft on dishonor at Canoe U!

show me your WAARRRR face!

jrklr

I'm not sure about this info the recruiter told you that you have to do nuke while enlisted if you wanna shot at the academy. I think their just tryin to fill their high demand for nuke. As far as I know, you can have any designation and apply to the academy, but I dont know much about that whole deal. I'd agree with most posts so far and just go OCS, BDCP too if ya can, there's rumors that you have better chances of getting into OCS if you apply to BDCP too, but who knows. Its an awesome deal if you can get it. good luck.

jaerose

Okay, talk to your recruiter (an officer) about getting PRK before getting into the programs. I would think that since you have so much time before going that it would be okay and you could get the waiver, but always make sure first. As far as pilot goes, if you get PRK (unless you see 20/40 or better now, which in that case you don't need it as long as you're correctable to 20/20) the competition is stiff right now...but there are spots open for a couple of years down the road, which is when I am assuming you would be done with college, right? If that's the case, depending on your grades and application, I would say definitely go for pilot in BDCP, or the academy (whichever you want most) because you could get your spot early. That's basically what it takes...you must have the foresight to know that's what you want and apply for it well before it's time to leave, otherwise you'll be in for a long wait. Ask the enlisted recruiter in your area for the contact information of the nearest Officer Programs Officer, they have to report to someone and that's where you'll get the info you want. Good luck and just keep working toward your goals.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.