• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not correctable to 20/20

nugget61

pilot
Dude, I'm not going to fight with you on an online forum. It's a shame that instead of being helpful (as I would hope a SNA would be to a wannabe), you try to be condescending. I say try because while you came off as rude, there is no substance to your argument.

Yes, it can be found on the following page, RIGHT UNDERNEATH the waiver guide:
Right underneath it is "Waiver Process". This is 6 pages and if you had read it would realize it's not what I referred to.

Are you kidding me? It's the document RIGHT UNDER the one you're referring to. It's titled "Physical Exams and Standards". MAN I wish I wasn't too lazy to find the "was that so HARD?" google thing right now...
Ok, maybe you didn't mean directly under, but a few under. If you had read "Physical Exams and Standards" before you tried to slam me, you would realize that it is actually just chapter 1 of the waiver guide.
I read all of the links before I posted, and before you try to say its one of the lower links, no, it is not.

My original request for the location of the full testing procedure document has still gone unfulfilled - anyone else know?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude, I'm not going to fight with you on an online forum. It's a shame that instead of being helpful (as I would hope a SNA would be to a wannabe), you try to be condescending. I say try because while you came off as rude, there is no substance to your argument.

Right underneath it is "Waiver Process". This is 6 pages and if you had read it would realize it's not what I referred to.

Ok, maybe you didn't mean directly under, but a few under. If you had read "Physical Exams and Standards" before you tried to slam me, you would realize that it is actually just chapter 1 of the waiver guide.
I read all of the links before I posted, and before you try to say its one of the lower links, no, it is not.

My original request for the location of the full testing procedure document has still gone unfulfilled - anyone else know?

I slammed no one. I am just bad at da internets. I doubt you're going to get much more than what's posted. Maybe call NOMI and ask? Although I'm sure MB would have a few words about that... :D

torpedo0126

if there is no explicit rule against putting moisture drops in your eyes then I wouldnt be too concerned. I don't believe they are prohibited to be in a flight status.

I know a flight surgeon...Ill send him a text and see what he says. As for making the doc wait, you will have lots of time in between stations for your exam, just put them in or go to the bathroom.

I put in drops right in the waiting room and no one said anything to me.

torpedo0126

I know a flight surgeon...Ill send him a text and see what he says.
quote]

Can you ask your friend how many variations of the eye chart there are?

I see where you're going with this and I'm not sure that's a good idea...if they don't catch that then they will catch it at NAMI.

From personal experience, it does vary, so wouldn't count on getting past NAMI and any subsequent annual flight physicals that same year.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Read the NOMI waiver guide, but I'm fairly certain that while you may get away with it, putting drops in your eyes before an exam is prohibited. For example, there are drops that can temporarily improve your vision, and in general, eye drops improve your vision to some degree.

Can you do it? Sure. But if someone sees you do it, the test won't count and you may have to answer for a lack of integrity.

Prohibited??? HUH???? I never heard this one.

Perhaps you can tell me the name of the drops.

Jeff29

Science Project
I can guarantee that no flight surgeon isn't going to wait patiently for you to get your drops in before the eye exam.
"Hey doc, I need to run to the head real quick" Go to head, go into stall, put in eye drops, take a dump (or at least stay in the stall for 5 minutes), go pass eye exam. (Don't use an eye drop gel as a residue might still be in your eyes)

I doubt you're going to get much more than what's posted. Maybe call NOMI and ask?
Do not ask a question for which you do not want an answer. Plausible deniability.

Lots of fluids, lots of sleep, no reading, computer work or anything that causes eye strain for a couple days prior, and relax (I know, easier said than done). You can also get an eye chart and practice; the more you do it, the better you will be able to recognize the letters. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snellen_chart

kj2008

I'm not looking to cheat, so if there is any chance whatsoever that the drops would not be allowed, I wouldn't put them in. I'd rather lay of the computer for a few days, hydrate, and get a whole ton of rest. With regards to the eye chart, I've done some research on this. There are ten lines of ten letters each on a Good-Lite eye chart. The rows are made up of two 5-letter plates for a total of 20 plates on the eye chart. The charts actually come with 40 different 5-letter plates and the owner can configure them anyway they'd like. I'm too lazy to do the math, but this makes for quite a few combinations.

Jeff29

Science Project
Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that you 'cheat'. While there may be something in Appendix 2348df-1 Section 12390-ddfhsa9r.1238 of some NOMI/NAMI pub, I have never seen or heard of wetting eye drops being disqualifying. It is common for people who have had PRK to experience dry eyes, yet when I went in for my PRK waiver they only asked if I was taking the steroid eye drops - I don't recall ever being asked about wetting eye drops.

My first suggestion was simply based on the fact that the doc is probably not going to wait for you to put in eye drops, but he probably will allow you to go to the bathroom.

My second suggestion was based on the concern that if you call NAMI and ask about eye drops, you may actually get to talk to a optometrist/opthomologist, but more than likely you will end up asking someone who does not know the answer and who, if they can't quickly find a reference, may just guess. Do you want to base your Naval Aviation career on that guess?

As far as the charts go, I'm not suggesting that you try to memorize them. I am suggesting that you familiarize yourself with the fact that there are only certain letters that are used on these charts, and that if you practice looking at them, you will be able to better recognize and distinguish them.

Good Luck.

peachesnel

I'm ith Jeff29. I had PRK and iffy night vision. I knew about it and kept my mouth shut during all of my physicals, including the NAMI/API physical. That's the one you have to pass then you're golden for glasses. After keeping quiet I went flying at night and scared the shit out of myself and almost ran to the doc. I assumed they'd down me and make me an NFO but alas there are no regs for night vision. NO ONE CARES. Pass your NAMI physical, eye drops and all (you wouldn't be the first)then go get your glasses the week after. If you no-shit can't read your alarm clock when it's right next to you, then yeah it may be an integrity issue. Anyone who's telling you no eye drops just hasn't been in your shoes or is now an NFO.

kj2008

Thanks for all of the information. Jeff, I have already taken a look at the chart and have done exactly what you were suggesting...familiarize myself with which letters were on the chart and which ones weren't. One final question. This flight physical is being done prior to my commission. Is there another flight physical done after TBS and before API?

torpedo0126

Thanks for all of the information. Jeff, I have already taken a look at the chart and have done exactly what you were suggesting...familiarize myself with which letters were on the chart and which ones weren't. One final question. This flight physical is being done prior to my commission. Is there another flight physical done after TBS and before API?

Yes, thats what we have been talking about. The NAMI physical is before API. You probably will have other flight physicals as well, but NAMI is the big one. You will also have an annual abbreviated flight physical and a full flight physical every 5 years.

Your biggest chance for getting dropped medically will occur between before API through Primary. Thats when the least amount of money has been invested in you. Once you get to Advanced, winged and beyond things will relax a bit barring anything major.