• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Northwest Airlines Blames Absentee Pilots for Heightened Flight Cancellations

Lawman

None
Typical corporate BS. Put a pilot in command of an aircraft and give him the go/no-go call on whether or not he and his crew are capable of safely operating that aircraft. Then when they say no-go because of insuffecient crew rest thanks to the airline not having enough pilots to cover the reservations they put out for booking they go after the pilots for it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From ALPA:

NWA continues to cancel hundreds of flights due to insufficient pilot staffing for the summer months. Instead of taking responsibility for poor planning, NWA management in recent media interviews has attempted to place the blame for flight cancellations on weather, air traffic control restrictions and now pilot sick calls.

The staffing shortage at NWA is not a surprise. ALPA has repeatedly informed NWA management that its staffing plan was inadequate for the summer flying schedule. NWA management could have prevented the staffing shortage by expeditiously recalling the 400 furloughed pilots not yet back to work. Instead, management decided to run the airline beyond redline during the summer months resulting in the current flight cancellations.

The union leadership unanimously passed NWA MEC Resolution #07-53 on June 15 that outlined the staffing problem and the pilot group's concerns about the future of the company. The resolution stated that staffing is below what is required to properly fly the summer schedule and this staffing shortage will have a noticeable and costly impact on NWA’s summer flying, revenue and passenger goodwill.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Oh yeah ... forgot to mention ... the above was while the EMT (upper management) gave themselves multi-million dollar "performance bonuses" for bringing the company back from bankruptcy ... after slashing employee payrolls by @ 40-50%, increasing work hours, and decreasing working conditions ...

The NWA "bonuses" were to keep the "superior" EMT onboard. You know ... the one that could not "compete" in the market without hammering the employee group ...

Question: with friends like these .... who needs enemies???

snake020

Contributor
I am curious A4s, if you the man/myth/legend were an exec running NWA and controlling the pursestrings, how much would you elect to pay yourself?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....if you .... were an exec running NWA and controlling the pursestrings, how much would you elect to pay yourself?
I would expect to be paid ... a LOT.

But: it would depend on the "health" of the company and the state of my fellow employees --- you would simply never find me gaining or taking any "bonus" or monetary increases while the "grunts" and "line" people were making financial sacrifices -- some losing their jobs. Conversely, if the company was moving up and being successful --- then I'd want "mine", too.

During my first days in the Navy I learned: take care of your men -- they will take care of you. It's never been any different, anywhere, anytime ...

I have known -- not in the biblical sense -- several EMT personnel during my tenure in the airlines (plural) -- hell, I was even a VP (no shit) at one during the final last-gasp months -- and most of these "significant" guys/gals have more money than they can ever reasonably expect to spend in this lifetime.

It's not about their bank accounts -- it's about their (*drum roll*) ... their EGO's !!!! :eek: Repeat, softly now .... it's about their egos.

Believe it ....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Five Surgeons from big cities are discussing who makes the best patients to operate on.

The first surgeon, from New York, says, "I like to see accountants on my operating table because when you open them up, everything inside is numbered."

The second, from Atlanta, responds, "Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is color coded."

The third surgeon, from Dallas, says, "No, I really think Librarians are the best, everything inside them is in alphabetical order."

The fourth surgeon, from Los Angeles chimes in: "You know, I like construction workers......those guys always understand when you have a few parts left over."

But the fifth surgeon, from Chicago, shut them all up when he observed: "You're all wrong. Airline Execs are the easiest to operate on.......there's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains and no spine, and the head and the a$$ are interchangeable."

plc67

pilot
Rand Peck is also pretty fired up about NWs allegations. He vents in his blog;but undermanning isn't limited to NW. The airline I work for has also ignored calls for recall/hiring and now, a real shockeroo, finds themselves understaffed.
The screw up and get a bonus management philosophy just floors me. It's like I go have a pilot error accident and demand a raise because it could have been so much worse.
Well, it's hot enough now, time to go run till I puke.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....The screw up and get a bonus management philosophy just floors me. It's like I go have a pilot error accident and demand a raise because it could have been so much worse....
The above quote is a perfect analogy ... absolutely perfect.