• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Norfolk/VA Beach NATO Turkish Officers Seeking Asylum in Droves

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Pretty much every Turkish military commissioned officer currently stationed in Virginia beach/Norfolk officially requested asylum in the last 48 hours.

Wondering why US folks in country, meaning turkey, don't take things into their own hands and dispose of the Erdogan problem.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Pretty much every Turkish military commissioned officer currently stationed in Virginia beach/Norfolk officially requested asylum in the last 48 hours.

Wondering why US folks in country, meaning turkey, don't take things into their own hands and dispose of the Erdogan problem.

Source?

The current administration backed Erdogan during the coup so why would they?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're suggesting that the US assassinate the leader of a NATO ally?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
NPR - just heard the story

Interesting. Can't say that I'm surprised. I know a couple of people, including my neighbor, who were over there during that time.

Erdogan loyalist military forces allegedly surrounded the base the Americans were at with tanks at and cut off all power until the coup ended- obviously someone was concerned about the possibility of what you suggested.

Whether you agree with the internal politics of it, the U.S. "backed the democratic system" in place. It would have been problematic for the administration to publicly back a coup of the military against the democratic government, even if the claimed erosion of secularism is true.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you really wondering why US service members haven't decided to overthrow a sovereign nation on their own? This can't be a real question and must be the setup for a joke. Or Fancy Bear hacked your account (just kidding, we know @Max the Mad Russian is our local Fancy Bear rep)?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Are you really wondering why US service members haven't decided to overthrow a sovereign nation on their own? This can't be a real question and must be the setup for a joke. Or Fancy Bear hacked your account (just kidding, we know @Max the Mad Russian is our local Fancy Bear rep)?

Sigh...I miss the days of a good old filibuster. William Walker...now there was a guy!

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Are you really wondering why US service members haven't decided to overthrow a sovereign nation on their own?

A Turkey? Sovereign nation? It was once upon a time. If Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, a brilliant infantry officer by the way, will somehow emerge from the paradise now, the first action he'd undertake would be to hit Erdogan by the sabre. This present Turk leader is unbelievably good in ruining the best structure of the national state of Oriental world (religious crowd separated from civilian society by the military regime which is enforcing stability first of all), replacing it with some unpredictable mess. In such a circumstances yes, it'd be proper way to catch the power in Turkey and pass it over to their militaries or at least help them to do so. Just my opinion, but Erdogan is going to convert Turkey to the second Syria if not second Iran.

jtmedli

pilot
Source?

The current administration backed Erdogan during the coup so why would they?

It's legit. I met one of them and he was telling me all about this situation. Good guy but he, and his colleagues, did NOT look forward to going home.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Ok, Middle Eastern, but it depends rather on the agressive religion's presence. Religion, not nationality. For such view Indonesia for example is the same as Turkey or Egypt.