• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

non-select physical??

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmeryan@yahoo.com

Hey everyone-
Curious if anyone would know how you could be a non-select (physical) if you already cleared your actual physical through MEPS? It appears that you can be Non-Select security, physical or other...but what would OCS see to DQ you based on a physical that already was good enough for MEPS?

Also, is there anybody from a non-aviation designator on here that has been through the select process after having LASIK? Has it caused a non-select for someone from a non-aviation community?

zuggerat

don't you only have 30 days to take it from the time your proselected? i guess if u werent ready and time expired he'd send it instead of just losing the proselection

Kycntryboy

pilot
made4navy said:
Hey everyone-
Curious if anyone would know how you could be a non-select (physical) if you already cleared your actual physical through MEPS? It appears that you can be Non-Select security, physical or other...but what would OCS see to DQ you based on a physical that already was good enough for MEPS?

Also, is there anybody from a non-aviation designator on here that has been through the select process after having LASIK? Has it caused a non-select for someone from a non-aviation community?

Sometimes things fall through the cracks. In which they find them when they review your package for about a month, vs. MEPS 3-4 minute analysis.

Eteled

If anyone is going to be non-select/PDQ after MEPS, its going to be me.

I had PRK, but the vision in one eye isn't correctable to 20/20 (never was). My vision was still good enough to clear MEPS -> at OCS vision requirement and the CMO at MEPS recommended a waiver. So, when my FINDOC's are finished a waiver request goes with them for the PRK. I was told that I would hear if I got the waiver and final-select at the same time. Thus, if I don't get one of the two, I'd be non-select or NPQ.

Furthermore, the MEPS I went to lacked depth perception and field of vision tests. However, I’m pro-rec for a RL community (due to the vision req's). Those other tests might not figure in. I included a good 25 pages of my PRK medical history and the CMO told me that the vision tests in those pages superseded the MEPS tests. He said the MEPS vision tests were only for "ballpark" figures. I think there is a thorough physical when you first get to OCS. If I happen to fail a bunch of tests there (ones I missed at MEPS) I could be NPQ. Hypothetically, something else could crop up that was missed at MEPS.

So, I'd say it is very possible that in certain situations you can clear MEPS and get NPQ or non-select (physical) afterward. As for LASIK, you should be fine. Eye surgery waivers are routine now. The CMO didn’t have a bias toward PRK or LASIK. If LASIK is ok for your designator, you shouldn’t have any problems. LASIK is a no go for diving communities including SPECOPS/SPECWAR, not just aviation.

Eteled

I got word back that my PRK waiver was not granted at BUMED. I'll be resubmitting after my next eye exam. Does anyone have some contact information I could use to talk with the BUMED people? I meet all the requirements, so I'm confused as to why they didn't give me a waiver.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eteled explained it well. The MEPS Docs don't much care what service you are entering let aloan what program. If they have any idea what the requirements are for specifice navy OCS programs it is from personal experience. They can not make any official determination on program specific requirments. If you have vision in one eye or are missing 3 toes they will NPQ you because that isn't accpetable for any military program. So the MEPS guys can pass you and the Navy guys reviewing for specific programs can take that raw info and determine you don't meet their requirements.

stevew

Eteled,

why do you need a PRK waiver for a Crypto slot? I didn't know there were vision req's for crpto?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
There isn't a vision requirement. It's just that if you've had PRK/Lasik (because you're sick of contacts and glasses) the navy is going to want to know about it and grant a waiver.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In any case, there are vision requirements for crypto and every other program. It simply isn't 20/20 uncorrected. Someone may still get PRK to get them within program requirements.

Eteled

Like Wink said, all programs have requirements. I met them prior to my PRK and I meet them after PRK. The issue is that I had PRK. All types refractive surgery for new accession requires a waiver.

They look at a bunch of factors for granting a waiver such as manning levels, is the issue progressive, will it affect job performance, safety concerns and so on. So, it can and often does come down to someone’s discretion rather than the specifics of a benign medical issue.

More waiting for me is what it boils down to. In my case I think I stand a decent shot of getting this changed. I do have one question though; will this affect my chances of enlisting in the Marines if it doesn’t get turned over?

reapergm

Eteled - Shoot, I just had my flight physical. I clocked in 20/20 with +.25 on one eye. They said it looked fine, and also met the criteria for waiver. The had to send it to BUMED. What were the conditions of your eye? They didnt say why they didnt waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.