• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nomination Review Board/ Interview board

S8G2F18

My command does not support NRB's as we are a remote command (Ballston Spa, NY.) I'm going down to Norfolk on TAD orders to get some interviews with pilots so I have pilots represented in my interview board. I was very fortunate to get an interview board set up with a Flag officer and two other pilots. I'm hoping to be able to include this in my package along with the required command-sponsored board.

I talked to my CCC today about setting up a NRB and he said I could not do one. He said it must be set up by the CO with another command and every applicant from our command. The way I read 1420.1A I can see it both ways. I does say it's the CO's responsibility so my CCC might be right.

I don't understand why I can't do it myself though. Any thoughts?

If my CCC doesn't budge on this could I just do it anyway and send it to Pensacola myself?

AmericanRiver

Bigfoot Slam Dunk Rainmaker
Sta

Regularly do you have a CCC who actually has the handle on STA21 packages.

Its your package, not theirs. YOU need to run the show. If I had left it to my CCC, My package would never been completed yet alone mailed in before the deadline.

My shipmate who was picked up for STA (and was stationed in Spain) had to go around his CCC to get his board set up and fly to Italy out of pocket to get an external interview board done.

Take charge of your package or wait for the results to see the selectees who did.

Print out the 1420.1a, highlight what needs to be done and get it done. Ask for your CCC's help getting perticular tasks done. Tell him/her how it needs to be done and exactly what you need from them to do it. Don't just come with "I need..."

If the CCC still isn't any help, take the highlighted 1420.1a and go to thier supervisor with your concern. Its your career shipmate.
Best luck to you!

My command does not support NRB's as we are a remote command (Ballston Spa, NY.) I'm going down to Norfolk on TAD orders to get some interviews with pilots so I have pilots represented in my interview board. I was very fortunate to get an interview board set up with a Flag officer and two other pilots. I'm hoping to be able to include this in my package along with the required command-sponsored board.

I talked to my CCC today about setting up a NRB and he said I could not do one. He said it must be set up by the CO with another command and every applicant from our command. The way I read 1420.1A I can see it both ways. I does say it's the CO's responsibility so my CCC might be right.

I don't understand why I can't do it myself though. Any thoughts?

If my CCC doesn't budge on this could I just do it anyway and send it to Pensacola myself?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If the CCC still isn't any help, take the highlighted 1420.1a and go to thier supervisor with your concern. Its your career shipmate.

Engage your chain of command before you jump him with his.

OC/EMC

Xo

It was my experience (two applications before I was selected) that the XO would set up the NRB with another command. I informed my CCC about what I wanted and he was ok with me interacting with the XO directly. I assume you are at P-type in NY? It might be a good idea to let your shift Eng and your senior enlisted nuke on your crew/section know what you are trying to do. I found that the more people who were in the know about my application, the more they tended to harrass key people into helping me push through my paper work.
If your CCC is indeed road-blocking your application, let him know that you are going to speak to your Eng or XO about your application. You don't have to go pointing fingers at your CCC, but if it is brought up as to why you are interacting directly with the upper chain of command, you would be in the right to fully explain your situation. It is a very important process, but if you need to pis s in your CCC's wheaties, go for it. It won't make a bit of differance 4 years later when you are a commisioned Ensign.

Good luck!

SandSailor

Every command SHOULD have an "officer programs coordinator." It is a collateral duty. This is typically a Mustang who knows the ropes. Get what you need from your CCC and get away from them as soon as possible. It could be that your XO is your comman officer programs coordinator, doubt it, but if he is then it shouldn't be a problem talking to him directly with any and all issues in your package. Just make sure you back fill your cheif on anything you talk to him about, and if you think your immediate COC can handle it, let them. Just keep on them!

Good Luck!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Just realize that the only person looking out for your packet is you. My chief didn't care one bit that I was putting in my packet so he didn't help, but he didn't stop me. If you feel like you're not getting the help you need, just remember to be polite and respectful but walk the package through yourself.

Good luck! Ballston Spa is in bfe. You guys still have snow up there?

Stick

pilot
Do not listen to your CCC because he is telling you what he thinks the instructions says. I was fed a line similar to that at my former command and knew thew officer programs coordinator didn't know what he was talking about. I set up an interview myself with a pilot. You need to do whatever you think needs to be done to get selected for the program. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. If they do then work as hard as you can to get it done. I am refering to your package when I say this. You still need to go about things in the proper fasion. I had to set up interviews at other commands myself because my command was not helpful and then I told them to add the interview sheets to my package. It is up to you and only you. Sorry for sounding AFU but I have had a lot to drink tonight!