• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NMCB vs. ACB?

dza1284

I am in the middle of my first tour in the CEC and it is about time to start thinking about my next one. I am currently in Southern California so there is a good chance I will stay on the west coast. I am trying to compare going to a NMCB up at NBVC vs. going to a ACB One in SD. I have a decent idea about what a NMCB is about but not so much as far as an ACB. So if anyone has any info or experience with an ACB please share. Also if anyone has any opinion on similarties and differences of the two.

boobcheese

First I would say your chances of going to an ACB are relatively slim. With PCS funding tight, and already being on the west coast, you are essentially limited to one ACB vs 4 NMCBs. Additionally, since San Diego is a fleet concentration area, billets at ACB 1 are often reserved by the detailers to co-locate dual military. I can't really speak to the pros/cons as I will be headed to my first Bn job later this year (NMCB out of Gulfport).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Where are you currently? If you're in SD, then the detail shop would probably like to no-cost PCS you. If you're anywhere else in NAVFAC SW land, you're probably headed for Port Hueneme.

Never did an ACB tour, but talking with some chiefs at my NMCB, the big difference is that the ACBs rarely deploy as a whole. They usually punch out task-oriented dets as needed, whereas the NMCBs have construction tasking that is planned out years in advance and their schedules are pretty well known. The whole battalion deploys, with about half going to a mainbody site (Rota Spain, Okinawa, or Afghanistan) while smaller 20-30 person dets are spread across the AOR.