• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night Vision

Ehoward10

Hi everyone, I am a hopeful SNA candidate who is planning on getting LASIK in a few weeks in order to be eligible to apply. I was hoping I could find out if any of you have been having side effects after getting LASIK. My brother got the surgery several years ago and tells me he sees starbursts and halos at night, as well as having dry eyes. I know these are known side effects to LASIK, but the thing that concerns me is that they are disqualifying for a waiver. Do any of you know what the chances are of having these complications or what makes them more likely to occur? I am wondering if PRK would be a better choice due to the lack of these side effects.

According to the guide, "There must be no symptoms or conditions that would be cause for concern during flight duties, including, but not limited to: post-operative discomfort requiring ongoing care, moderate or severe dry eye requiring the use of artificial tear drops more than 4 times per day or punctal plugs, recurrent corneal erosions, or visually significant glare, haloes or starbursts"

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'm 5 months out and completely fine. Doc has said I have a little dryness (believe I sleep with my eyes open a bit), but I only really notice it if I've had a couple drinks the night before and I'm dehydrated. Usually after a shower and a bottle of water I'm good to go, or worst case I put some drops in. I have no glow/halo issues either.

The surgery was amazing, I was seeing 20/15 the day after and I was still stable there in both eyes at my 3 month post-op (going to get my final 6 month check next month). My surgeon recommended LASIK because the recovery is much faster and with PRK there is a chance of scarring. After how fast I recovered and I was able to basically resume all normal activities a week after I would definitely recommend LASIK if your surgeon does as well.

Make sure either way to get the Wavefront guided. It is more expensive, however the Navy prefers it since the laser treatment is customized to each of your eyes so it is much more precise.

aviatorchick77

I'm a month and a half out from PRK. Seeing better now than I did with contacts. I still have halos and starbursts at night, however, this is gradually residing. I also have dryness, but I just put in eye drops a few times a day which fixes the problem. Either surgery is 100% worth it! Good luck!

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
So what if I have good vision in one and "meh" (it feels like my right eye vision deteriorated for whatever reason but left eye is amazing) vision in the other? Keep in mind I'm still a long road to go before becoming a naval officer and secondly an aviator but I'm worried for this. Can I pay for my own eye surgery? I saw a post comment on AW and some marine aviator had 20/400 but was able to correct to 20/20. Thanks again comrades.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what if I have good vision in one and "meh" (it feels like my right eye vision deteriorated for whatever reason but left eye is amazing) vision in the other? Keep in mind I'm still a long road to go before becoming a naval officer and secondly an aviator but I'm worried for this. Can I pay for my own eye surgery? I saw a post comment on AW and some marine aviator had 20/400 but was able to correct to 20/20. Thanks again comrades.
How about you employ the search function?

Jublov

I'm really working to gain your respect and trust and as well others. I know I'm the effing new guy, I use the search function, want to serve my country as an Aviator or Flight Officer. I came on the wrong foot on this forum. I'm not saying cutting me some slack. I'm really working to be where you are Brett.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I used the search function before I asked this question. Divulged on every comment. Thanks for your advice..
So, you're telling me that you read through the hundreds of posts that discuss the Navy's policy on photorefractive surgery for both pre and post commissioning situations... and you still don't know the answer to your question?

All I'm saying is... work harder. ;)

Jublov

Look Brett I apologize, I take that word with full intention, I'm not trying to be an ass kisser, nor bother you. I just needed to hear "work harder" best advice I gotten besides shut up and listen up.

aviatorchick77

Brett, you have a point! I searched around on these forums for hours and found what I was looking for. It just takes time.

That being said, yes you can. I did.