• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Night-Vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wali

This question is concerning the use of night vision goggles for nighttime carrier operations. I have always heard how challeging it is to land on the carrier at night mostly because of visiblity issues. Why does the Navy not use the night-vision? It is just a question that has been bothering me. Also, is the Hornet equipped with LANTIRN? Is the Hornet an all weather fighter? Any answers will be appreciated.

AdamS

If you used NV goggles, wouldnt that obscure the color of the meatball and make it a lot harder to line up your approach? and dont they screw with depth perception? I am sure there are many other reasons as well..

Dave Shutter

I have yet to fly with NVG's but I drove Tanks with them and did countless night patrols and they screw with depth perception bigtime! The NVG's I see pilots wearing look like the same PVS-7 I used and besides weight they're not much of an improvement over older models. I can't imagine night trapping with them, but ask Matt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
I have yet to fly with NVG's but I drove Tanks with them and did countless night patrols and they screw with depth perception bigtime! The NVG's I see pilots wearing look like the same PVS-7 I used and besides weight they're not much of an improvement over older models. I can't imagine night trapping with them, but ask Matt.

I can't speak for landing on a carrier, but we do use them for coming to the back of a small boy in a helo. I probably only have about 20 hours of goggle time, but personally, I can't stand the things. Yeah, I can "see" a bit more, but depth perception is poor, and your scan rate has to be faster. Oh, well, guess I'll get used to them.

Dave Shutter

Scan rate...yeah, I forgot to add, you can see at night and on clear nights with stars and a good moon it's almost light a green daytime but it's like driving a car looking through a bucket with the bottom missing, there's no width to your vision. You have to scan like crazywether your walking, driving and especially when flying (I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.