• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's mistreated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Just wondering. Are NFOs treated like second class citizens in the jet pipeline? Maybe I have gotten some bad gouge but I have heard that since NFOs don't hold the stick, they are treated differently. I know it's probably a stupid question but it was on my mind. Thanks.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i haven't been there and have no firsthand knowledge, but i would certainly hope that NFO's are given EQUAL respect as pilots. Both are officers and aviators for the world's greatest Navy. NFO's are definitely NOT second class to me.

fraz76

He has...goplay you need to look up some past posting on NFO in the Navy by Wink. It will give you the real deal about NAVAIR, NA and NFO.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey goplay,
Don't worry, NFO aren't second class citizens in NAVAIR. In fact, pilots and NFOs don't necessarily rate any higher than the SWOs or Sub guys. In the end it is all about how well you do the job assigned and your general officer qualities. Within a squadron that flies aircraft with NFO crews the job of CO and XO rotate between pilot and NFO. Hard to see how an NFO can be something less than a pilot when he can command. Fact is, with the exception of LSO and aircraft commander I can't think of a single job in the navy that is not open to an NFO. NFOs qualify as Mission Commanders, they serve as squadron COs, instructors, admiral's aids, Air Boss, Strike Ops Off, ships navigator, Battle Group Commander etc. NFOs even go to Test Pilot School. At TPS the program is virtually the same except the NFOs becoome flight test engineers (NFOs in the test crew). After over 23 years in Naval Aviation I have not seen any lack of respect for NFOs. The pilots are best at what they do. They got me back aboard the ship on dark nights so I could catch the movie. I did all I could to help him. Putting a weapon on a target was my job. The pilot did all he could to help me, but sucess or failure was my responsiblity. You are a crew. There is some good natured joking between pilot and NFO on occassion, but that is all it is. Hard to think less of some that "doesn't have the stick" but still tells you how to find your target, planned the mission, defends your aircraft from missile attack, drinks more beer than you, has a prettier girl friend, went to a better college and, by the way, is your squadron CO.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Too bad the Air Force isn't like the Navy. My dad graduated from USAFA in 1975. He was a WSO in the RF-4 and now he's a navigator in the KC-135. All of the pilots are the first ones up for promotions and command positions. Non-pilots are definitely second class citizens in the Air Force.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helmet,
And I bet his wife was prettier than all those pilot wives and his son is smarter than pilot's sons too.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
well, i mean, come on. Pilots vs. NFO. Duh, there's no question - pilots are god's gift to, well, everything. Problem is, without an NFO they'll never find their way to Heaven...

:)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is the first squadron that I've really worked with NFO's. There is a lot of friendly ribbing that goes on between the pilots and NFO's. In our community, NFO's are definitely not second class. My first skipper here at the FRS was an NFO and absolutely one of the best leaders I have ever served under. NFO's go on to command carriers and serve as Admiral's.

Status
Not open for further replies.