• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Vision Requirements

Beefalo

Can anyone tell me or show me the visual requirements for SNFO? I can find it easily for SNA 20/40 uncorrected, corrected to 20/20 and -1.50 myopia max what about SNFO? I have 20/400 uncorrected, corrected 20/20 and myopia -7.50. Thanks

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Can anyone tell me or show me the visual requirements for SNFO? I can find it easily for SNA 20/40 uncorrected, corrected to 20/20 and -1.50 myopia max what about SNFO? I have 20/400 uncorrected, corrected 20/20 and myopia -7.50. Thanks

You're right about where I am. You should be good.

Beefalo

Wow I can barely road the shampoo bottle in the shower without my contacts in and the Navy will let me fly? Thats awesome.

Does anybody have a link to the specific instruction?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Here is the instruction:
http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Physical%20Standards.pdf

The link leads you to the NOMI Pensacola website, look under shortcuts, forms, and other info, then click on physical exams and standards.
Basically there is no limit uncorrected and should not exceed +-8.00 diopters.
BTW, I had 20/400 when I started, I couldn't even see the eye chart.

Good luck!

SLB

And I think that 8.00 diopters is just for your initial entry... because I'm at 8.5 right now and haven't had an issue. The only time vision has been an issue for me was SERE, after they took my glasses away.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was actually a little over the limit with my glasses when I went to NAMI. They said it was not too uncommon and 'tweaked' my prescription so that I was under the limit and able to see 20/20.

When I asked about if my eyes got worse, they said that as long as you are correctable to 20/20 then you are okay when you are winged. Since then, as long as I can see with my glasses during my yearly physical, they have never said anything otherwise.

johnritenour@co

I can echo what the others have said. I had -4.25 in the Left Eye (OS), and -4.00 in the right eye (OD). Like most near sighted folks, I have 20/400 vision because once something gets few feet away - it gets fuzzy You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever - and you are joining the avation community - the most professional warfare community in the Navy. One option avaialbe to folks that wasn't around when I went through is corrective surgery - Radial Keratotomy used to be the prferred method but newer and better surgery types as LASIK and PPK are now much more common.I NEED TO STRESS THAT YOU DEFINTELY NEED TO CHECK WITH NAVY MED TYPES BEFORE UNDERGOING ANY TYPE OF CORRECTIVE EYE SURGERY TO INSURE THAST IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOUR ELIGILIIITY TO BECOME A SNFO!

THe following is off topic but is provided as a public service message. Sadly for me I got the NAMI Whammy for a Sinus Issue. I tried to go Avation Engineering Duty Officer, Intelligence, Supply Corps, Crypto, CEC (Civil Engineering Corps) - anything except the for the least desirable and most unprofessional warfare community -:eek: Surface Warfare. If you do get attrited for medical reasons, do your best to stay away from the SWO Community - as a SNFO/SNP you have been used to working with dedicated, squared away professionals - that won't be the case with the Surface Navy - the only time these guys ever pat you on the back is to find a soft spot to slip in the knife - plus being an avation attrite for any reason will get you:icon_rage shit on big time. You would be much better off to get out of the Navy and find professional civilian job where you won't have to be ashamed of what you do for a living!

CollegeHero

Does anyone know the refraction limits today for NFO? My eyes are about 20/400 and my contacts case say -3.25 which means I'm nearsighted.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The waiver guide is now located HERE. The SNA / SNFO standards are HERE. The SNFO standards for eyesight have not changed:
Waiver Guide Standards said:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near:
No limit uncorrected. Must correct to 20/20 each eye. If the AFVT or Goodlite letters are used, a score of 7/10 on the 20/20 line constitutes meeting visual acuity requirements.
Refractive Limits:
Manifest refraction must not exceed +/-8.00 diopters in any meridian (sum of sphere and cylinder) with astigmatism no greater than -3.00 diopters. Refraction must be recorded in minus cylinder format. Must have no more than 3.50 diopters of anisometropia.
Oculomotor Balance:
NOHOSH.
Depth Perception:
Not Required.

You are welcome.

-ea6bflyr ;)