• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Question: Can NFOs switch which airframe they are in when they are in the fleet. Other then when their airframe gets replaced (i.e. what's going to happen to F14 and later the EA-6B NFOs). I was wondering is it common or does it even happen. Just curious

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a fleet tour you can request a change. Very rarely happens. I only knew one NFO to do it. Went from VS to VA. Knew a pilot or two to do it. The VAQ guys were in the hurt locker in the late '80s and they took lots of laterals. I don't expect they would be taking many requested laterals now when they are jumping through hoops just to find places for the VF and VS guys now. A lateral can ruin a career, so they are careful how they deal with it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes you can, I did it. I was an EP-3 NFO for my first tour and I was lucky enough to get a transition to EA-6B's at the end of my first squadron tour. I knew several guys that wanted to transition but lost interest after getting to love their first airframe. I loved my tour in VQ but I wanted a little more excitment than sitting sideways in the back of a tube staring at a computer screen (I got to stare at one facing forward, with a G suit, harness, survival vest and helmet this time!). I had to go back to flight school, advanced jet training, and then to the RAG like everyone else.

I can tell it you it is not easy. I did well in my first squadron and happened to be in the right place at the right time. I had a lot of fun though until they decommisioned my squadron :( , but it was well worth it. It will be more difficult to do it nowadays with the S-3 going away, they are taking up a lot of the extra slots. They are sending them everywhere including VFA, VAW, VP and VQ. It is apparently take it or leave it. I have not seen a regular transition board come out in a while. Most of the F-14 guys are going straight to F/A-18F's. With retention sky high in aviation right now, it is even more difficult (VAQ is overmanned).

Most of the people who transition are pilots, I have only met a handful of other NFO's who have done it. Wink was right when he said it is not the best for your career, you are an oddity and that is not usually good. It also depends on hthe community you go to, VAQ is generally more accepting of transtitions than VF. I did it to keep flying and have fun and have not looked back though. I have had a blast.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, transitions do occur. However, you typically have to be a top performer in your community or the gaining community won't want you.
Most F-14 RIOs are going to the F/A-18F platform.
And S-3 NFOs are transitioning to F/A-18F, EA-6B, P-3 and E-2C communities.
It is a slow process that takes place over several years though, so you don't see it unless you look deep.
r/
Goz

Status
Not open for further replies.