• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Selection: Very discouraged..

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What doctorate takes less than two years? Those are called Masters degrees at best, and they usually take 2 years.

we had a couple JO's in my squadron that were '05 YG dudes who got picked up for and completed masters programs while waiting for the pipeline to open again post hurricane. PhD? Yeah probably not so much....

Gator Guard

always knife hands
I got picked up with a degree in Political Science (3.3).

If you can get 7/7/7 on the ASTB-E then I would bet money on selection.

6/6/6 is a little more dicey.

Peter89

Hello aviators!

My question for all of you is this: I'm prior-service Navy, of the aviation community (AM), currently one year post EAS with a year left before my bachelor's degree is complete. When I left the service, it was a dream of mine to one day return as a NFO. What I'm running into now is a lot of discouraging gouge with regards to my chances of selection through OCS.

I'm currently majoring in history with a 4.0 GPA, tons of extra-curriculars, and a job as an editor with the college press. I excelled during my enlisted years, always earning MP/EP evals, NAMs, etc. I took flying lessons in my off time and racked up 40 hours. I'm 23 and have 3 years left on my IRR contract, so I thought I might have a reasonable chance of picking up a slot, but after asking this question on Yahoo! I got some pretty nasty replies.

An individual who claims to be in the business of officer accessions told me my major was a huge negative (even with a 4.0 GPA, because "they only want STEM majors"), the fact that I'm prior service was another neg. (who wants disgusting, putrid former E's stinking up the O corps), the flight lessons were also a neg. and I needed "more leadership exp." (Never mind being a former NCO, completing a B.S. in 2.5 years, and being a member of 4 clubs and organizations while working part time). He basically told me to kick rocks and GFYS.

Is this guy being unreasonable, or do I still have a shot? I'm going to apply either way, but I would feel a lot better about the whole thing if I knew the real deal.

For what it's worth, I just went through OCS and the majority of SNFO's (and SNA's) had non-STEM degrees. My degrees are in Political Science.
Also, with regards to prior-enlisted, we had a PO1 who put in for OCS and Chief. He was denied Chief and selected for OCS. I don't think anyone minds the "former E's", at least not from what I've seen.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, with regards to prior-enlisted, we had a PO1 who put in for OCS and Chief. He was denied Chief and selected for OCS. I don't think anyone minds the "former E's", at least not from what I've seen.
Curious statement, if by anyone, you mean non-prior classmates,... why would any of them "mind the former E's" (prior enlisted)?:confused:

Enlisted personnel (of all services), are eligible to apply to Navy OCS, subject to the same eligibility requirements as civilian applicants. Only the top enlisted, with a solid record of performance, leadership, and academic achievement are selected. In general, priors enjoy successful and productive tours/careers in all branches and communities of the Naval Service. Some may not be aware that in the recent past, we had a CNO who was a prior.:D

It should be noted that 'every once in a while', a prior with an "attitude" will show up in a new OCS class. This sort of arrogant, condescending behavior, becomes short-lived... quickly squared away by the DI, AND fellow Priors!;)

@Peter89, congratulations on your recent commissioning in the Navy, and welcome to Naval Aviation!:D
BzB, proud prior ET2 (SS):cool:

Peter89

Curious statement, if by anyone, you mean non-prior classmates,... why would any of them "mind the former E's" (prior enlisted)?:confused:

Enlisted personnel (of all services), are eligible to apply to Navy OCS, subject to the same eligibility requirements as civilian applicants. Only the top enlisted, with a solid record of performance, leadership, and academic achievement are selected. In general, priors enjoy successful and productive tours/careers in all branches and communities of the Naval Service. Some may not be aware that in the recent past, we had a CNO who was a prior.:D

It should be noted that 'every once in a while', a prior with an "attitude" will show up in a new OCS class. This sort of arrogant, condescending behavior, becomess short-lived... quickly squared away by the DI, AND fellow Priors!;)

@Peter89, congratulations on your recent commissioning in the Navy, and welcome to Naval Aviation!:D
BzB, proud prior ET2 (SS):cool:

I was mainly referring to the officer and enlisted staff members at OCS, since this is the only experience I have had with it. I was directly responding to the original post, "the fact that I'm prior service was another neg. (who wants disgusting, putrid former E's stinking up the O corps)". From what I saw, the staff would give the priors a harder time with certain things, but as training progressed it was evident that the staff really respected them. Plus our class officer was a Helo pilot with enlisted Air Warfare wings, our engineering instructor was a LDO and prior P-3 Air Crewman, and many of the SWO instructors were proudly sporting their enlisted Surface Warfare pins, so I was just saying that I did not see any animosity towards or bias against the priors, at least at OCS.

The same goes for non-prior classmates. At least in our class, we all had respect for one another and the rocky road most of us traveled to get to OCS, prior enlisted or not. Most of us, regardless of where we came from, had been applying and waiting for months, if not years. We understood that OCS selection was as competitive, if not more so, in the fleet where a lot more factors, mainly job performance in the Navy (or other service), were taken into account. We as a class had a lot of respect for the priors and the knowledge/experience they brought. They pulled us through many evolutions, especially the "militarization" types. We figured out really fast that the priors could make racks, polish boots/shoes, prepare uniforms, etc. far better and faster than any of us who had been civilians a few days or weeks before. So, "no one minds the prior E's" was said a little sarcastically. Everyone at OCS sought out the help or advice from a prior at some point and we (or at least I was) grateful that they were there.

Thanks for the congratulations and the welcome, I'm looking forward to getting started down here!