• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO / Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

letchik

Hey guys, need your valuable advise again. Like I mentioned before in my previous posts I didn't get the pilot slot. However, I can still apply for NFO. This is where I'm struggling to decide if I should go for it or not. I know that flight officers do not fly. Is it worth of going through such an extensive training and not being able to fly ? Can anyone tell me more about flight officers ? Is there a chance of getting a pilot slot down the road for flight officers ?

Thanks again.

vballindaytona

I don't know much about the switch to pilot later down the road. But I believe the S-3 has dual flight controls, and I also remember discussing earlier that if you go get your civilian ratings you could log the right seat time if you were an NFO. I don't know much about the S-3, so I may stand corrected.

Good luck,
Jonathan

gt0767a

Yes, you can transfer from NFO to pilot. Right now they are allowing nfos that did well enough in api(top in class) and are physically qualified to transfer after api, but I don't know how long this will last (it comes and goes). Also, after serving 18 mos as an NFO in a quadron, you can apply for the NFO-to-Pilot program. Hope that helps.

christine

Kraftwerk

Yes NFO's do fly. We are in charge of everything but stick, rudder, and throttle, gear and flaps. Everything else, such as comms, weps, nav, radar, troubleshooting and anything else you can think of is our turf. And if you think about it, most navy aircraft are multicrewed, and who are the mission commanders? NFO's. Not to bang my drum here but NFO's do have a very important mission in today's fleet. Now, I'll be an S-3 NFO, where I'll get to have stick and rudder control when the pilot needs to do something else such as eat, sleep or take pictures, and getting practice in the Viking will be invaluable down the road for those of us (me) going for a pilot transition. Currently, the NFO to pilot transition is in effect in the fleet, but subject to periodical removal and reinstatement, due to NEEDS OF THE NAVY. Yes there is a chance, yes, it is cool being a FO, you'll have fun whatever you do in the airplane.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kraftwerk-
I thought the S-3 pipeline was closed/closing. Please fill me in...
What will happen to the pilots/fo's when the S-3 leaves service?

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
I was browsing through the Bupers website and stumbled across a page that asks present S-3 Pilots and NFO's to request a new platform. It even has a choice to change to helicopter. My recruiter is an S-3 Pilot and he told me he had a lot of things to think about. He said it would be like starting over from scratch. He also said he would have to do back to back sea duties. One as a NUGGET in the new platform and then as Department Head. Kind of sucks, but it would be kind of cool to fly multiple platforms, especially choppers and fixed wing.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Kraftwerk

quote:
Kraftwerk-
I thought the S-3 pipeline was closed/closing. Please fill me in...
What will happen to the pilots/fo's when the S-3 leaves service?

NavAdmin 139/02 says that Viking guys can apply for any transition they desire. Whether you get it or not, is enrirely up to the board and your record. Bottom line, you have to take whatever they approve for you, but transitions will go in if there is space in the gaining community. The pipeline is shriveling up, but we're still sending folks there. Only 1995 year and older are allowed to get their time in and retire from the s-3 community, the youngens wil be spread around. It's an okay deal I guess!

K

jrklr

can NFO's be civilian pilots afterwards? They do get flight hours for being in the back seat don't they?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
They do log flight hours but it will not help them at all in the civilian world. All the NFO's that I know that fly as civilians paid for thier own flight lessons and have worked hard to get "first" pilot time. No other time means anything for a civilian job.
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:and who are the mission commanders? NFO's.

Maybe in the S3 community, but in P3s, it is pretty much split down the middle, both the Pilots and NFOs are Mission Commanders. They usually team up a seasoned/experienced Pilot PPC/MC with a new NFO/TACCO, and of course vice versa. 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.