• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO or SWO to JAG

redsox4516

Hey Guys,

First post. I am a law student who is about to graduate at the end of the month. I am currently finishing up my Application Package, (I took the ASTB today actually, 54/6/6/6) The recruiter mentioned to me that I could hope to transfer to JAG after a few year. I wasn't sure if that was a realistic statement or not. (Ive applied to JAG 4 times, got denied each.)

To be clear, I am applying to be an NFO, SWO or an Intel Officer to be those officers. I am NOT applying in the hopes of a later transfer. But I was just curious to see if the statement was at all accurate.

Thanks

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
In short: Not gonna happen. Generally, you have to earn your warfare designator in your initial field (Aviation, SWO, etc) before you'd be considered for lat transfer.
2+ years, then a recommendation from your command, blah, blah, blah...

Don't want to burst your bubble, but they've got too much invested in you to train you then let you do something else.
Does it happen? Yes, but it's a small number of folks.

Fwiw, some of the best civilian lawyers I know were military Officers in unrelated fields: Aviation, Infantry, etc.

Good luck.

redsox4516

In short: Not gonna happen. Generally, you have to earn your warfare designator in your initial field (Aviation, SWO, etc) before you'd be considered for lat transfer.
2+ years, then a recommendation from your command, blah, blah, blah...

Don't want to burst your bubble, but they've got too much invested in you to train you then let you do something else.
Does it happen? Yes, but it's a small number of folks.

Fwiw, some of the best civilian lawyers I know were military Officers in unrelated fields: Aviation, Infantry, etc.

Good luck.
Thats what I figured. Thanks.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After 2xFOSing on active duty, I seriously considered going to law school. As in, I would be in law school if everything I read about the job market didn't say how much it completely sucked, and if you weren't a top grad from a first-tier school, you were screwed. Given that, I can't imagine how competitive it must be to be a JAG officer with a bunch of newly-minted JDs with a shit-ton of student loans desperate for a job.

azguy

None
As BigRed linked, SWOs are eligible for the LEP program. They generally take only a handful of officers per year.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I know of one NFO who lat transferred to JAG, but only after his initial sea tour and follow on PEP tour were complete. I think he was denied prior to that.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am NOT applying in the hopes of a later transfer. But I was just curious to see if the statement was at all accurate.
Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong at all with coming in with the goal of laterally transferring to JAG if that's what you're really after. And yes, it can absolutely be done. But.....you knew there was a but, right....but, you have to do so with your eyes wide open and giving 100% to whatever your current function is. If you come in thinking you're just passing through and giving anything less than your best, you will get eaten alive...no matter if you're a pilot, NFO, SWO, or whatever.

On the bright side, you'll be the XO's BFF.

exNavyOffRec

Hey Guys,

First post. I am a law student who is about to graduate at the end of the month. I am currently finishing up my Application Package, (I took the ASTB today actually, 54/6/6/6) The recruiter mentioned to me that I could hope to transfer to JAG after a few year. I wasn't sure if that was a realistic statement or not. (Ive applied to JAG 4 times, got denied each.)

To be clear, I am applying to be an NFO, SWO or an Intel Officer to be those officers. I am NOT applying in the hopes of a later transfer. But I was just curious to see if the statement was at all accurate.

Thanks

Did you get any feedback on why JAG said no 4 times? What were your grades like?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As BigRed linked, SWOs are eligible for the LEP program. They generally take only a handful of officers per year.
The OP isn't eligible for LEP. He will already be a law school grad. It would be a straight lateral transfer like lots of guys do to supply, intel, etc.

BigRed389

None
The OP isn't eligible for LEP. He will already be a law school grad. It would be a straight lateral transfer like lots of guys do to supply, intel, etc.

Good catch...missed that bit about previous rejections for JAG...which could be significant to a lat transfer attempt.

azguy

None

Ah, yep, good point.

OK, I assume that if you went through the ass pain and expense of law school, you actually want to be a lawyer. I know the JD job market isn't great, but you're much better off getting some experience in the civilian law world (even if not as a practicing attorney) than you are trying for a very slim chance getting into JAG.

How are you're law school grades? Are you coming out of a top 25 program? Top 50?

redsox4516

Did you get any feedback on why JAG said no 4 times? What were your grades like?
Undergraduate Grades were excellent. Law School was mediocre. I had solid references. Also, they had accepted 3 other students for JAG. If I had to guess it was the grades.