• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO & Flight Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertonfo

Can any of the flight time you log during NFO flight training be logged in your civilian flight book if you have a PPL or working towards one?

I've heard S-3B NFOs who have PPLs or advance ratings can log some of their flight time since they have controls on their side. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for the input.

Randy Haskin

quote:
Also, the S-3 is a jet, to log time in a jet, you must either be typed in it [break]

Now I don't think you will find ANY S-3 pilots that have an FAA S-3 Type Rating, hence you can't log it in your civilian logbook [break]

I'd really like to hear about someone doing this, cause I'd like to hear their reasoning behind how they can do it.

So, you're saying that since S-3 pilots don't have type ratings, they can't log the time and hence will never get advanced ratings or hired at an airline? Nonsense.

Type ratings are only required if there is a civilian equivalent -- that's why KC-10 pilots fly with DC-10 type ratings on their certificates, yet I only have commercial multiengine instrument. Since both the F-15E and the S-3 have no commercial/civilian counterpart, no type rating is needed.

WSOs in the F-15E log PIC time all the time, so I'm guessing that it's the same in the Hoover. Here's how it works.

The 'FO must have any multiengine rating.

The WSO must be "qualified" in the airplane -- this essentially takes the place of the type rating, and is fulfilled as soon as the dude takes his evaluated mission qualification checkride.

Finally, as in the CFRs, he must be the sole manipulator of the controls for the time logged in the logbook. It goes in as PIC time. For most WSOs in a fighter, this means he accrues hours for .2 and .3 at a time. Over the course of a career this can add up to some pretty good hours. None of it will get you to the Majors, mind you, but if a guy wants to build total time, it's completely legal.

I agoree with PAP, though, that whenever you're in a gray area like this talking to the FSDO is the best option. Both the WSOs that log their time have it in writing from the FSDO that what they're doing is legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.