• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO committment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric1835

Does anyone know how long the committment is for NFO's? I know that NA's it's 8 for jets and 6 for helos, but does anyone know for NFO's? thanks

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
not sure on NFO, but pilot is 8yrs after wings, regardless of what community you go to.

I think FO is 6yrs though after wings, I am sure someone on this board can comfirm that.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
not sure on NFO, but pilot is 8yrs after wings, regardless of what community you go to.

I think FO is 6yrs though after wings, I am sure someone on this board can comfirm that.

NA is 8 yrs no matter what? I thought 8 was just jets... when did it change? Or have I been misinformed from the get-go?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ben said:
NA is 8 yrs no matter what? I thought 8 was just jets... when did it change? Or have I been misinformed from the get-go?

I started NROTC in '98, it was 8 yrs then. Not sure when it changed, but I know for a fact that my committment is 8 yrs from wings.

Chubby

My orders say "you are obligated to serve eight years for propeller-rotary aircraft, or eight years for jet aircraft,following completion of training date within the Naval Air Training Command. (Refer Milpersman 1542-010) and they're fairly recent. But that's for SNA, not sure about SNFO's.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah, sorry Chubbs, but for SNFOs we're 6 years after wings.

At least that's what those fellas back in ROTC told me

Chubby

Yeah, didn't mean to be confusing. I just saw that some people were wondering about the SNA commitment, so I wrote what I know. Didn't mean to get caught up in the SNFO stuff. For the record, I have no idea what the SNFO commitment is. If I were you, I would go with someone with more experience. But that's just me, a young Ensign who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The total commitment for everyone is EIGHT (8) years.
SWO: 4 Active; 4 IRR
NUKE: 5 Active; 3 IRR
NA: 8 years AFTER WINGING (regardless of what platform you chose)
NFO: 6 Years AFTER winging (and what ever else is left over from the 8, you'll do in IRR)....

For example, it takes you 2 years to get your NFO wings (THat's really slow by the way), and you owe 6 more after winging....you will be done after that.
ea6bflyr

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IFS is a reality. There is detailed info on it somewhere on the forum.

Just for the record, the balance of your time in the Reserves would be in what is called the Individual Ready Reserve, IRR. We sometimes get guys that question the orders because they were told six after wings. The IRR comittment is the balance of the total 8 years owed the Navy as ea6bflyer notes. You would be off active duty and esentially your name is kept on a list. No drills, no haircuts, no pay, no responsiblities, unless there is a national emergency and then it takes a "presidential call up" (read WWIII). If you want to continue your Navy career as a weekend warrior then you become a Selected Reserve, or SELRES.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And... to even muddy the waters up some more, there is the Fleet Reserve, where you do your 20 years, retire, and you stay on the "list" till 30 years have elapsed since you entered service, and you become inactive and unrecallable.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Army's current Chief of Staff was retired and then "recalled" by the President from their version of the Fleet Reserve to head the Army. After 28 years as an active Army Officer my father in law actually had a recall billet assigned to him if he were to be pulled from retirement. The Navy does not go that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.