• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newbie Questions for OCS

Ed Owen

Hello,
I have a 4 year undergrad degree in Aviation along with a commercial license with multi engine rating and roughly 300 hours. I am currently working in the private aviation sector and I have thought about applying to the OCS progam with the CG. I am 25 years old and I had some questions:

1) Do I have a good chance at getting in OCS this year If I were to apply? Is it still very hard(I heard abou 10% of applicants getting accepted)?

2) I know the process is going through OCS first and then applying for the flight training, What are the current prospects in flight slots in the next couple of years?

3) If I don't get a flight slot, What is the minimum duty time for an officer and what bases are most likely to be given to a new recruit?

4) What is family life like? I have a wife and I know moving is part of the career... How long is the typical deployment and do you have any choice in choosing locations?

5) What is the best way to start the process of applying to OCS?

Thank you very much for the feedback!

-Ed

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
1) and 5) are easy, and since I'm feeling lazy tonight I'll take a stab at them.

1)Your chance of getting into any military officer accession program is 0% if you don't apply. The odds are probably better if you submit an application, but noboby can tell you how much better.

5)Contact the nearest USCG recruiter (officer recruiter, if they specialize).

You're welcome!

sardaddy

pilot
1) Do I have a good chance at getting in OCS this year If I were to apply? Is it still very hard(I heard abou 10% of applicants getting accepted)?

Just as good of a chance as anyone I suppose. Not much else to help you on that. You do have to try.

2) I know the process is going through OCS first and then applying for the flight training, What are the current prospects in flight slots in the next couple of years?

Flight school prospects are slow but they are there. Just like OCS all you can do is try.

3) If I don't get a flight slot, What is the minimum duty time for an officer and what bases are most likely to be given to a new recruit?

If you don't get a flight slot it is 3 years of service minimum. Some programs are 4. You could go anywhere there are CG officers but OCS grads don't usually go to a ship first tour.

4) What is family life like? I have a wife and I know moving is part of the career... How long is the typical deployment and do you have any choice in choosing locations?

Everyone's family life is different. Duty locations are 2-4 years depending on what your job is and where you get stationed. Typically, pilots are 4 year tours. Everyone else is 2-3 years. Deployments depend on the station and job as well. It could be 2 weeks to 6 months away from your duty station. Hard to say without knowing what job you will end up with.

5) What is the best way to start the process of applying to OCS?

Go to your local CG recruiter. There are no "officer recruiters" in the CG. So your closest recruiter is your best bet.