• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not tracking the argument though. It says the savings are from moving prisoners that won't be returning to duty from their existing service uniform to a standard brig uniform. Are they really in confinement that long that they'll need to be issued new sets of uniforms? Do existing service uniforms really cause that much wear and tear on laundry equipment compared to these new ones that a significant cost savings is realized? Sorry, I call BS.

I'm pretty sure they can be there for up to 5 years, officers and enlisted sentenced for longer I think buy themselves a direct ticket to Leavenworth, and many are discharged directly from there. Even though it is only a few hundred prisoners halving the uniform costs could see the the savings add up. It may not be $millions but if it saves ~$50,000 annually (3 uniforms per prisoner for 357 for a year), or even less, I don't see an issue.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Supplier/contractor scam if I ever heard one. Probably “good idea” fairy from MAA enlisted community - an equally unnecessary enlisted rating.

BarryD

Contributor
So, I get that Chiefs and O’s are special, but why not just issue one color uniform for all brig prisoners?
That's not what the color difference is. Brown is for people awaiting trial and Tan's gonna be for people convicted (I might have them reversed).

(Unless you're joking, in which case - haha)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supplier/contractor scam if I ever heard one. Probably “good idea” fairy from MAA enlisted community - an equally unnecessary enlisted rating.
Why? You do realize the Navy had MAs in 1797, right?

snake020

Contributor
These new uniforms look blah, but they are better than Navy enlisted's 'Blue Berries'. That is the worst uniform ever.

Should burn through existing stock of the NWU Type Is after FY19 by making them the de facto prison uniform until exhausted. Can't argue with the cost savings either, right?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Should burn through existing stock of the NWU Type Is after FY19 by making them the de facto prison uniform until exhausted. Can't argue with the cost savings either, right?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the brig had to pay for prisoners clothing, even old ones, after all they ain’t getting paid much while there and aren’t getting their uniform allowances either. So yeah, still makes sense.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice move by the AF to permit flightline crews to don shorts in warmer climates like Nellis!

Now if we can only give our wrench turner troops more relief by removing the imbecile cranial from shore use.... one thing when deployed but always had criticism for its use ashore with troops working outdoors in the elements, sweat dripping from grungy cranials (often worn half cocked). And then LPO's and line Chiefs griping at said sailor.