• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I learned to become pro-HR. Without them, I might have had to go to a NOSC.
The funny thing is that the HR FTS community overextended itself when it snapped up a bunch of those billets by converting them from URL/RL to HR... and then gapped a bunch of them. That doesn't seem very resourceful to me but I do find it hilariously ironic.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
You know, someone on this site once scoffed at me because the Army has combat patches. I'm just sayin', we KNOW who our non-deployers are from a distance. And yes, Army HR types are well represented.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’ve never tried to understand the Army’s patch, badge, and rank bar color system. The fact that every school/course comes with its own badge or patch is a bit much for me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Half true. I went through Boot with a trumpeter selected directly into THE Navy Band. He was auto-advanced to E-6 the day after graduating. It's the only way to entice people who'd otherwise go to major/mid-sized city orchestras to go Navy.

THE Marine Band folks don't go through boot camp, though the other Marine band folks do.

Now that I'm an aviator and understand what we and the docs get paid to keep us in...I'm not complaining about a few petty officers. (I am generally against active duty non-deployers/non-warfighters though -- I'm looking at you HR types)

I don't have anything against band folks or their advanced entry rank for that matter, it is that we just don't need 100 or more bands costing us more than a $250 million a year. In an era of doing more with less we could do with A LOT less bands and musicians in the military.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, someone on this site once scoffed at me because the Army has combat patches. I'm just sayin', we KNOW who our non-deployers are from a distance. And yes, Army HR types are well represented.

That is one small aspect of the Army uniforms I've liked, especially after getting indoctrinated in them while being forced to hang out with the Army for a year. To this day I'm immediately suspicious of a E-7/O-4 or above who has a 'slick sleeve' just like I'm wary of a Navy Chief who has no sea service or deployment ribbons, at all (I just saw that the other day).

One small issue with 'combat patches' though is how loose the Army seems to be when 'awarding' them, or whatever it is called. I'm not sure a two month stint in sunny but safe Qatar constitutes 'combat' but according to a 1LT I met recently that is what the Army thinks.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I’ve never tried to understand the Army’s patch, badge, and rank bar color system. The fact that every school/course comes with its own badge or patch is a bit much for me.
Not too hard to understand. Patch on left = your current unit. If on the right, it is the unit you deployed with (brigade or higher) in combat. No patch on right means no deployment to a combat zone. Badges are similar to Navy/Marine badges (aviator, aircrew, airborne, etc..) plus some for combat action (ie shot at by something other than indirect fire). Colors are associated with branch...aviation, infantry, cavalry, etc.

Didn't the Army scrap that shortly after simply because it was ridiculous?
Yes, it was tried. Every now and then someone thinks they have invented a new form of leadership and tries it again.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
One small issue with 'combat patches' though is how loose the Army seems to be when 'awarding' them, or whatever it is called. I'm not sure a two month stint in sunny but safe Qatar constitutes 'combat' but according to a 1LT I met recently that is what the Army thinks.
I don't agree with where the line is drawn either, but at least it separates those who deploy to the southern border (cough cough LUH-72s ;)) or as an ADA unit to Washington DC from 'real' deployments. Qatar vs Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan? Also a big difference.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
THE Marine Band folks don't go through boot camp, though the other Marine band folks do.

I don't have anything against band folks or their advanced entry rank for that matter, it is that we just don't need 100 or more bands costing us more than a $250 million a year. In an era of doing more with less we could do with A LOT less bands and musicians in the military.

My first AMOI in NROTC was a percussionist. Drummer did the DI gig.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...but why? smh

It says it in the title, money.

Is this a DoD thing, or another Navy uniform board initiative?

Was there something wrong with the previous brig uniforms? To me it raises questions on corruption when it seems like we keep getting these solutions in search of problems.

As described in the article the mishmash of uniforms, since folks from all services are incarcerated at Navy brigs, and most important their cost were the factors in the decision.

snake020

Contributor
It says it in the title, money.

As described in the article the mishmash of uniforms, since folks from all services are incarcerated at Navy brigs, and most important their cost were the factors in the decision.

I'm not tracking the argument though. It says the savings are from moving prisoners that won't be returning to duty from their existing service uniform to a standard brig uniform. Are they really in confinement that long that they'll need to be issued new sets of uniforms? Do existing service uniforms really cause that much wear and tear on laundry equipment compared to these new ones that a significant cost savings is realized? Sorry, I call BS.