• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why must they be like the Army and put the American flag on the 'wrong' side?! :mad:
There is no "wrong" side. There's "backwards" when the stars aren't toward the front. But you can place it on any damn side you want, as long as it's facing the correct direction.

I agree with both of you. It looks dumb, but I believe the US flag code (I think that’s what it’s called) says the flag should be displayed over the right shoulder (that’s where it is in portraits) and that it must be displayed honorably; wearing it on the right uniform sleeve means it’s “backwards” because if it wasn’t oriented that way, it would like were retreating, and thus not honorable.

My pet peeve is when dudes put that backwards Velcro flag on the front of their hat!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I agree with both of you. It looks dumb, but I believe the US flag code (I think that’s what it’s called) says the flag should be displayed over the right shoulder (that’s where it is in portraits) and that it must be displayed honorably; wearing it on the right uniform sleeve means it’s “backwards” because if it wasn’t oriented that way, it would like were retreating, and thus not honorable.

My pet peeve is when dudes put that backwards Velcro flag on the front of their hat!

copy pet peeve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Actually the US Flag Code says the following:

4 U.S. Code § 7 - Position and manner of display
(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

It is Army Regulation 670-1 issued in 2005 that dictated the wearing of a 'reversed' American flag patch on uniforms, with the union facing forward on either sleeve so it "gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward."

So yes, we can thank the Army for the unnatural wear of the American flag on US Navy uniforms now.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Over the years I've noticed a lot of small town law enforcement wear the "retreating shoulder flag" on their uniforms. I've wondered if it was supposed to be some symbolic thing, sorta like the military guards the frontier and the thin blue line is the vanguard of civilized society. But mostly I think it's because, just because it is.

Boy Scouts wear it backwards too, I never understood that (it was a Boy Scout who corrected Archie Bunker on flag etiquette, so they usually know what they're talking about) but their explanation is that when the flag is worn on the right shoulder then either is correct- the star field top left like a static display or the star field to the front like you're advancing.

The funniest shoulder flag guffaw I ever saw was a flight student wearing a Texas state flag patch on the shoulder of his flight suit- a left shoulder flag on his right shoulder. Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Over the years I've noticed a lot of small town law enforcement wear the "retreating shoulder flag" on their uniforms. I've wondered if it was supposed to be some symbolic thing, sorta like the military guards the frontier and the thin blue line is the vanguard of civilized society. But mostly I think it's because, just because it is.

Boy Scouts wear it backwards too, I never understood that (it was a Boy Scout who corrected Archie Bunker on flag etiquette, so they usually know what they're talking about) but their explanation is that when the flag is worn on the right shoulder then either is correct- the star field top left like a static display or the star field to the front like you're advancing.

This article has a pretty good explanation of the various different ways to wear a flag patch to incldue police and Boy Scouts, answering a question about some local cops who wore it 'retreating'.

The funniest shoulder flag guffaw I ever saw was a flight student wearing a Texas state flag patch on the shoulder of his flight suit- a left shoulder flag on his right shoulder. Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Ah Texans, who never fail to let you know that they are from Texas.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Its perfectly natural:

RIGHT Shoulder

and LEFT Shoulder, or hat/cover, or front of vest, or on back of pack or armor

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Its perfectly natural:

RIGHT Shoulder

View attachment 21353

and LEFT Shoulder, or hat/cover, or front of vest, or on back of pack or armor

View attachment 21354
Technically you should never wear a US flag on your left (neque ad sinistram). Throughout history your arms (weapons) were deployed on your right side and that is the side you "presented" to your opponent and having your colors on the wrong side might be confusing in battle for those fighting with you. This is where we get the term "right hand man" (the person who defends you in a fight) as does (traditionally) a wing man fly off to the right.

As for modern times...who cares? If in uniform wear the flag as ordered.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't the army wear the flag on the right shoulder because they have a specific use for the left shoulder patch?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Doesn't the army wear the flag on the right shoulder because they have a specific use for the left shoulder patch?
Their unit patches (usually division or regimental) go on the left. They've been very consistent about that for a long time- and the unit patch predates shoulder flags. I gotta say, I respect that consistency and tradition.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yes, as @Jim123 notes the soldier's current unit of assignment patch is worn on their left. The right sleeve is reserved for a combat patch or in official language, "shoulder sleeve insignia-former wartime service." In some army circles it is considered unfashionable to "sandwich" yourself or wear a combat patch that matches the unit you are currently serving with. On the blue dress uniform your combat insignia is a small pin worn on the right pocket.

To be honest, a really badged out soldier starts to look a bit comical at some point.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Technically you should never wear a US flag on your left (neque ad sinistram). Throughout history your arms (weapons) were deployed on your right side and that is the side you "presented" to your opponent and having your colors on the wrong side might be confusing in battle for those fighting with you. This is where we get the term "right hand man" (the person who defends you in a fight) as does (traditionally) a wing man fly off to the right.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Especially since the wearing of flags on shoulders is a pretty recent thing versus a cockade on a hat, giant banners, painted shields, facings or just different colored uniforms being among the many distinctive markers of a soldier on a battlefield before the 20th century. Plus, if is was such a big tradition the majority of countries don't follow it to include our very tradition-minded Commonwealth colleagues who wear the flag on their left shoulder along with most other countries that wear flags on their uniforms, with a few having them on both shoulders and but even fewer doing the right sleeve thing like the US Army.

Their unit patches (usually division or regimental) go on the left. They've been very consistent about that for a long time- and the unit patch predates shoulder flags. I gotta say, I respect that consistency and tradition.

The 'shoulder sleeve insignia' is official term for the distinctive unit patches in the Army, all soldiers they wear their current unit/formation on the left sleeve but those who were in 'combat' with a unit can also wear their SSI on the right sleeve. Several Army types I've worked with use the term 'slick sleeve' when talking about those without a 'combat patch' on their right sleeve, usually derisively if they are mid-to-senior ranked folks. 'Combat patch' can be a bit of a loose term, I've known folks who have deployed to Kuwait and Qatar and have gotten 'combat patches'.

Since a lot fewer folks prior to 2001 had 'combat patches' it made some sense to put the flag on the opposite sleeve from your SSI to give the uniform the appearance of balance, particularly greens, but it is a lot less so now with so many soldiers with 'combat patches'.