• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New toy...need advice for sighting it

supplywife

Adyson Elizabeth born 2/25/2007
I picked up a new toy today, the Smith & Wesson 442 Revolver, 38 special. It will be my conceal to carry weapon once I get my license, but I really got a great deal on it and could say "no" It has the concealed hammer so it'll never get tangled up and has the benefit of never having to check for one in the chamber.

Also, just to throw this out there, I got the rubber grip with the laser sight in it, does anyone have any tips to sight it?? I have never sighted a laser before. I just need to give it time, and read the instructions of course, but any tips would be great!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
model642.jpg
model638.jpg

That's what my wife carries --- a S&W 642, actually an airweight stainless - (pictured left ) and she likes it. Hers sports real (?) ivory grips and a Tyler T-grip ... she likes that "fit" better than the Uncle Mike's style of rubber grips (pictured). It's virtually snag-proof and easy to carry anywhere on a woman's frame.

I sometimes carry a 638 (right picture) --- for me it is the ultimate "concealable" handgun or backup. I prefer the bobbed hammer in the "humpback" as an option. Sorry I can't help you with the laser grips --- never used them, but they sound O.K. in principle. I just don't know ..... there should be some documentation or information on their website for "sighting" the laser.

Practice reloads with speedloaders and/or speedstrips and take a shooting proficiency class/test ... these little revolvers are TOUGH to hit anything with over 10-15 yards using the front sight without a lot of practice. I find a common tendency is to aim high because of the lack of a "dedicated" rear sight. You have to train yourself to hold the muzzle down ... maybe the laser would help. I just don't know if I'm ready to bet my life on them ... :)

Toy?? No toy ... but it is a 5-round, close-range, point-'n-shoot, personal protection handgun --- and not intended for anything approaching 25 yards.

Old NFO

None
IF and it's a big if, you install the grips properly, the Crimson Trace should be just about dead on. As A4 said, it's a close in weapon. I have a 637 as a backup, and it's only good to about 7 yds with any accuracy. The other thing you need to do, or at least my recommendation, is to get the trigger worked on. It's about 12 lbs double action because of the roughness of the parts- the other option is to dry fire it a couple of thousand times...:sleep_125

Remember also, they are called belly guns for a reason- they are really not designed to be aimed, merely drawn and shot. You are talking at least .5 sec difference if you try to actually aim the weapon. The Crimson trace can help you get on target quickly from any position, but you will see just how much you waiver and bob and weave- This is NOT a function of the grips, but of the normal human reaction. I would recommend going to a range, start at 3-5 yds, shoot 50 rounds, 25 from an "aimed" stance, and 25 from a hip stance. Learn what YOU are most comfortable with... Also, remember Murphy was an optomist- The one time you "really" need the laser, it won't work... Also agree with A4, get some snap caps and practice reloads with speed loaders and speed strips- If you are going to carry them, make dang sure you know how to use them!!!!

Oh yeah, and one more thing.... read this on the Tueller drill...
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tueller/How.Close.htm

Lawman

None
Ive never been a fan of lasers. Ive tried using them myself and Ive witnessed other guys use them to train with and nothing about them made me any more effective a shooter infact I thought they made me worse.

1. They distracted me from looking down the sights when shooting at anything beyond Point-shoot range. Usually I found myself, and the others I witnessed trying to use them spending to much time trying to find a little red dot on the target where just sighting and squeezing would have put rounds in the target with quicker times to boot.

2. In most of the firearms Ive used them with they attach to the front on some sort of rail system. Meaning I couldnt use it without either A. buying a specially adapted duty holster, or B. taking up what precious little space I had on my duty belt (Im a skinny ass guy) to put some kind of pouch for the Laser. The second option also ment that unless I went into a situation with my weapon drawn which Ill give you did happen a lot it wasnt gonna do me that much good.

3. I found a laser to be useless at the ranges where Id actually want one, being beyond point-shoot range, especially during the day time. Without some kind of magnification system they got harder to see increasing my number one problem with using said laser to sight a target with instead of just looking down the sights.

4. Lasers run on batteries, and if there is anything Ive learned about batteries its that when you absoluletly need them the most they may not be there for you. This is why I see training only with a laser as a dangerous idea and unfortunately Ive witnessed guys more obsessed with playing with their little add-on then just shooting their sidearm.

Just my little rant.

T

TXHusker05

I am also not a big laser fan. I originally had a laser grip on my Kimber 1911 and took it off because the laser did me no good. As lawman said, at the range you might want to use a laser, you won't be able to see it. At close range, you should be able to aim and fire by either using the sights or just instictively firing.

One thing I would recommend is a flashlight for your weapon. It isn't a huge deal for concealed carry but one of the biggest things is home defense. Instead of fumbling for a lightswitch, you can go to your weapon and use the flashlight in the event someone breaks in at night. I did attach a flashlight in place of the laser on my Kimber and haven't taken it off since (finding a holster for it sucked, but I found one).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lasers ... smazers.

THESE are the only lasers that I KNOW I like .... wish we'd had 'em. :)

F-14%20Releases%20Laser%20Guided%20Bomb.gif