• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New to STA-21

Evan Cortez

Hello All,

I have searched the forums, and have found ALOT of great information here, so thanks to everyone that has posted.

I am currently an AT2(AW) stationed in whidbey island, coming off of my first sea duty tour, shortly and thankfully, starting my shore duty.

just a few questions for those of who have made it:
-i do require corrective lenses to have 20/20. is having to wear glasses/contacts going to hurt my chances? i have my first consultation for a refractive procedure next week, should i wait, or just knock it now?
-i know that having prior education completed is a major plus, but i have none currently. would taking some classes at our local community college, or at the navy college center that can be completed before the deadline help at all?

any more advice/pointers would be very greatly appreciated.

BTW me=NFO wanna be. i am tired of fixing it, i want to break it.

thanks alot,
evan

Tomodachi

pilot
Sup AT2?

Check out the Doc's Corner part of the forums which has a lot of information and will answer your question with regards to eyesight/glasses. From what I know, NFO is more lenient on eye sight.

If you currently have no college I would recommend starting now. You are on shore duty so it is a great time to start. I completed my bachelors degree on shore duty in less than 2 years. I would recommend knocking out CLEP/DANTES/ECE exams to help you progress faster, thats how I got my degree so fast. Having college courses under your belt would definitely not hurt. If you do not get selected for STA-21 (i hope you do get it)you can still be progressing on your degree and apply for OCS directly when you are finished.

Check out the NAVADMIN's from the recent years with regards to STA-21 and read them entirely. They give insight on mistakes that sailors make when submitting their applications which disqualifies them from even being seen at the board.

Good luck!

MA2

A.war.IN.me

Space Geek x pi
Sup AT2?

Check out the Doc's Corner part of the forums which has a lot of information and will answer your question with regards to eyesight/glasses. From what I know, NFO is more lenient on eye sight.

If you currently have no college I would recommend starting now. You are on shore duty so it is a great time to start. I completed my bachelors degree on shore duty in less than 2 years. I would recommend knocking out CLEP/DANTES/ECE exams to help you progress faster, thats how I got my degree so fast. Having college courses under your belt would definitely not hurt. If you do not get selected for STA-21 (i hope you do get it)you can still be progressing on your degree and apply for OCS directly when you are finished.

Check out the NAVADMIN's from the recent years with regards to STA-21 and read them entirely. They give insight on mistakes that sailors make when submitting their applications which disqualifies them from even being seen at the board.

Good luck!

MA2

Thanks for this post, it had been eating at me to know if the STA-21 program acknowledges CLEP/DANTES exams as credits. And along those lines, is it possible to complete an associates( or 60 to 70 credits) with CLEP in 12 to 13months. I'm not sure if that's a dumb question or not. I'm new to all of this.

Tomodachi

pilot
Thanks for this post, it had been eating at me to know if the STA-21 program acknowledges CLEP/DANTES exams as credits. And along those lines, is it possible to complete an associates( or 60 to 70 credits) with CLEP in 12 to 13months. I'm not sure if that's a dumb question or not. I'm new to all of this.

Not a dumb question at all. It is definitely possible to complete an associates in a year. Depending on your current rank and rate you should have some credits on your SMART transcripts which a lot of schools accept. As an E-4 I had about 30 semester hours on my SMART and even more as an E-5.

As far as STA-21 acknowledges CLEP/DANTES... well of course they do... the military pays for this. If you are really interested in STA-21 start researching the NROTC colleges you want to go to and check out their website with regards to acceptance of transfer credit and CLEP/DANTES. I can safely say most of the 4 year public universities accept CLEPs... to an extent. You will still need to take a majority of classes with them but you will have a head start if you knock out some CLEPs.

Tomodachi

pilot
If you are serious about taking CLEP/DANTES/ECE exams and are wondering how to study for it... I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this website www.instantcert.com. I passed 17 exams using their flashcards and researching on their forums. Really an invaluable resource. It costs $20 a month but it is totally worth it.

smurf2002TKE

ALCON,

During my last CDB, my CCC asked me "Why don't you submit a STA-21 application". I was a little hestitant to do so then because I didn't really believe in myself. but now I am kind of kicking myself for not getting on board with it. At the time I felt that I could finish 15 classes in less than 8 months and then work on an OCS pacakage at the same time with maintaing my status at HQ United States PACOM. Yeah right....

I know it is too late to start and submit one in time for FY13, but I am already starting my package for FY14. I am very competitive at my command while being ranked the number one E5 on my last EVAL and PNAing my OS1 exam every cycle. The last time that I took my SAT or ACT was back in 2001 and I scored a 1200 then. Does anyone have any good recomendations for study preparations? At the same time I just finished my AA in general studies at Hawaii Pacific University with a 3.0 GPA. I am 28 years old and I am looking at going into the Special Duty Intelligence Officer, but I will be willing to apply for other designators as well.

Just like with PTS, I am being denied a retention quota and I am still pressing on, but I honestly feel earning a commission in the Navy will full fill a life long dream of becoming a Officer. Thanks.

Very respectfully,
OS2 (SW)

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
ALCON,

During my last CDB, my CCC asked me "Why don't you submit a STA-21 application". I was a little hestitant to do so then because I didn't really believe in myself. but now I am kind of kicking myself for not getting on board with it. At the time I felt that I could finish 15 classes in less than 8 months and then work on an OCS pacakage at the same time with maintaing my status at HQ United States PACOM. Yeah right....

I know it is too late to start and submit one in time for FY13, but I am already starting my package for FY14. I am very competitive at my command while being ranked the number one E5 on my last EVAL and PNAing my OS1 exam every cycle. The last time that I took my SAT or ACT was back in 2001 and I scored a 1200 then. Does anyone have any good recomendations for study preparations? At the same time I just finished my AA in general studies at Hawaii Pacific University with a 3.0 GPA. I am 28 years old and I am looking at going into the Special Duty Intelligence Officer, but I will be willing to apply for other designators as well.

Just like with PTS, I am being denied a retention quota and I am still pressing on, but I honestly feel earning a commission in the Navy will full fill a life long dream of becoming a Officer. Thanks.

Very respectfully,
OS2 (SW)

OS2,
I have been kicking myself in the butt about why I havent applied earlier than I did. I would recommend a few thing:

1. Keep on with college classes. Take higher level classes that are transferable, look into taking Calculus based Physics.
2. Start working on your personal statement and have as many officers as possible read it, they will all want you to change different things but whatever feels right to you.
3. Learn as much as possible about the community for which you are applying. This will help you out when you do your boards.
4. Seek out the most senior officers you can in the community for which you are applying and work with your chain of command on contacting them for boards.
5. Study your butt off for the SAT or ACT and get the best score possible. There are many study books out there or you can find free study material on NKO.
6. Kick ass on your PRT so you can get an outstanding. The board gives you points on your most recent ones.

These are just some of the things that I could think of off the top of my head. I am sure that there are many people on here who could think of many other things. Let me know if you have any other questions.

V/R,

AS2(AW/SW) Longoria

smurf2002TKE

AS2,

Thank you for the insight. There is no way I am going to be able to make the FY 13 deadline for this coming July. These are the things I have done so far for my application process.

1. Began writing my personal statement
2. Finishing my AA with all basic general classes along with a few upper divisional classes.
3. Signed up for SAT prep course on campus for after duty sessions
4. Started a check list
5. Began a neutrition and PT plan for the Fall PFA cycle PRT.
6. Beining competitive at my command being awared the number one ranked EVAL at a 4 Star command
7. Seeking three officers who will endorse LORs one of them being a 3 star and a commander.
8. Starting a request chit to begin working on my application.

I am currently 28 years old up in the system for PTS and I am looking at competing for a lot in the Special Duty Intelligence Officer field. I believe once I get the ball rolling things will start to fall in place as far as my application is concerned. Thanks again.

Very respectfully,
OS2 (SW) Meadows