• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW SNA program for CG

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The USCG a few years ago decided to accept some grads from Embry-Riddle with multi-engine quals and send them straight into the C-130 pipeline. They were bypassing Navy Flight School, but at the completion of the C-130 RAG, they were pinning Navy Aviator wings on them.
The Navy leadership shit kittens. They told the Coast Guard that if they did this, then the Navy would de-certify all USCG aviators as Naval Aviators which would result in them losing thier FAA 'military pilot' qual.
The Coast Guard relented when they learned that they would then have to start all the paperwork to get thier pilots qual'd.
(Reported to me by a USCG H-60 bubba)

alpha6

When BDCP was initiated nearly 20 years ago it WAS only for minorities. Nothing so sly as a 25% minority school back then. Frankly, I like the creativity of the 25% minority school requirement.

The problem with this is that international students don't count, from what I heard. My school has more than 25% minority but since the students are considered international students, it doesn't count. Just second hand info I heard from someone who was looking into this program.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Does anyone know when the next board is for aviation in the Coast Guard? I can't get a hold of a recruiter.. He called me once to leave a message like 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to call back ever since..

Sparticusjmr

FS SNA Newport 21 Oct
I had the same problem with the recruiter down here in Nashville. Weird. I haven't tried in months but I'm going to try again tomorrow.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Does anyone know when the next board is for aviation in the Coast Guard? I can't get a hold of a recruiter.. He called me once to leave a message like 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to call back ever since..
I haven't seen the announcement for schedule of boards yet, so I can't help you. If I see it come up I'll post it.

The USCG a few years ago decided to accept some grads from Embry-Riddle with multi-engine quals and send them straight into the C-130 pipeline. They were bypassing Navy Flight School, but at the completion of the C-130 RAG, they were pinning Navy Aviator wings on them.
The Navy leadership shit kittens. They told the Coast Guard that if they did this, then the Navy would de-certify all USCG aviators as Naval Aviators which would result in them losing thier FAA 'military pilot' qual.
The Coast Guard relented when they learned that they would then have to start all the paperwork to get thier pilots qual'd.
(Reported to me by a USCG H-60 bubba)
I remember when that occured, but it didn't progress that far, IIRC. They proposed the plan (prior to sending the Embry Riddle pilots through C-130 training) and it was killed both within the CG, and outside of it (this was passed to me by my old Ops boss). When word got on the street, I heard plenty of senior CG aviators expressed their displeasure, and the idea was dead on arrival. I would love to hear the whole story, from proposal to implementation...sounds like someone thought they could save time/money (and get a great fitrep bullet).

We received one of the program graduates at my last unit...very sharp pilot, but I think he appreciated the chance to go through Primary/Intermediate/Advanced.