• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Selection Process For Aircraft Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

djxprice

Hi All,
Having just checked in to Training Wing 5, I thought I'd share some info that was passed out that certainly brightened my day. As everybody knows, aircraft selection is based on NSS and luck, but a recent change has made selection less of a crap shoot and more of a choice. From now on, an NSS of 50 qualifies one to ASK for jets (and probably get C-2's...), while an NSS of 55 or above GUARANTEES jets (if you want 'em). If they're are no jet slots that week, you are placed in a Jet Pool and wait until one opens for you. How cool is that? Have fun!

Dan

Dave Shutter

THAT IS F*CKING SWEET!!!

Are you sure though...I'm not suggesting that your mis-truthful or mis-lead, but what's your source? I'm sorry, but I can't help but be a little sceptical. I mean, if you have a few really bright Primary classes in a row, who've all seen TOPGUN too many times, then you've got no helo or prop pilots for a while.

...but it does sound awesome!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 1 July 2000

djxprice

Dave,

The info on the new Jet Pool came from the TRAWING 5 Student Control Officer (I forget his name, but he was a CDR) as well as the Commodore, CAPT. Cornell. I've asked a few of my buddies who checked in after me and they have all confirmed the new policy. Since nobody I know has graduated lately, I have yet to see the policy implemented first hand. And, as with all things Navy, don't count on it until AFTER it happens. Additionally, having witnessed 3 of my friends DOR and 2 others barely graduate, I don't think the prop or helo pipelines will ever want for students (I hear the average NSS down here is about a 47 for VT-6 and VT-3, for what it's worth). Later.

Dan

Edited by - djxprice on 2 July 2000

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dan, thanks for posting the info, personally that is the first I have heard of that, but it wouldn't surprise me. As Matt mentioned, the Navy has been paying a consulting firm to reorganize the way the Navy puts pilots through their training program. While in VT6, I had the opportunity to listen to a presentation by one of the consultants, as he explained how they were working down the pipeline backwards trying to eliminate the pools. Here is a blurb from their website:

"The Naval Aviation Production Process Improvement Program is a management effort under the auspices of the Chief of Naval Operations' Director of Air Warfare (N88). NAPPI's purpose is to improve the Naval Aviation training process by removing barriers to progress and identifying inefficiencies. NAPPI's stated goal is to reduce the time from "Street to Fleet" for Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers without reducing the strenuous qualifications for these officers or compromising safety or quality."

As you can see the acronym comes out as NAPI, lol. Anyways, they are hopefully going to eliminate the pools waits for the rest of you coming through the program, and in turn the prospect where many people that finish Primary during selection find that there aren't any Jet or Prop slots available for them (ie whole groups going off to helos).

Status
Not open for further replies.