• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Recruit - just started looking for what to prepare for STA21

eastcoastss

The credits being accepted depend on the institution, some take quite a few and some do not, and it doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the school, it looks like this kid has shopped around which is the smart thing to do. Some places that years ago accepted no credits now take nearly all, of course from what I have seen they are all lower division credits.
Thanks, yes I noted that quite a few were lower division credits. Thanks for the answer on that. Any advice on what a good cover letter would contain, not contain, (maybe that is more important)

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
The credits being accepted depend on the institution, some take quite a few and some do not, and it doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the school, it looks like this kid has shopped around which is the smart thing to do. Some places that years ago accepted no credits now take nearly all, of course from what I have seen they are all lower division credits.

Although this may actually be true, for every ODU, there are several schools where nuke credits won't count for physics, calculus, chemistry, or any other technical course. My college (University of Illinois at Chicago) only took credits from actual colleges and that was common among my friends.

exNavyOffRec

Although this may actually be true, for every ODU, there are several schools where nuke credits won't count for physics, calculus, chemistry, or any other technical course. My college (University of Illinois at Chicago) only took credits from actual colleges and that was common among my friends.

True, the dirty little secret is that the less credits they grant from nuke school the more money they get from you, so it is in the schools best interest to grant less.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
True, the dirty little secret is that the less credits they grant from nuke school the more money they get from you, so it is in the schools best interest to grant less.

+1 on the money comment. I couldn't even get them to award credit for a basic chemistry course and I was an ELT. Honestly that is a good thing because the navy only teaches you bits and pieces from various courses to get their point across.

navyao

This is all good and well but don't you think you are putting the cart before the horse here?

You haven't even experienced what enlisted life is like yet, heck, your not even officially in and your thinking about this program? I'll give you an example: At my current command, they won't even let any new booters put in for a special program like this until they have been here at least a year (assuming they are qualified in their work centers). Even then I have learned that this program requires a lot more than good scores, it requires some sort of experience, primarily, enlisted leadership experience in the fleet. That's just gonna take some time.

You sound like you're an on-point kind of person, but at least give it a year (or two) in... Remember, right now the Navy wants you for your enlisted job so focus on doing that to your best ability, then the rest will come later.

Well said. If you go to boot camp with an attitude that your just doing this until you get to STA-21 you Company Commanders, Instructors, Chiefs & Senior Enlisted will ride you. Learn what it's like to be an enlisted Sailor, it will make you a better leader one day. Or, finish your degree and go to OCS now. I worked with guys who were just going through the motions because they were, "on to bigger and better things." Needless to say their time in the sq. didn't go well... But good luck none the less.