• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New PT gear?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Compared to the other service's grey or green PT gear, our new PT gear makes us look like clowns. It's awful.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Try calling the 1-800 number for the Navy Exchange.....but you might want to wait until they work out all the kinks before purchasing. BTW, they have them at the NEX in San Diego.....maybe you can call a buddy there? At 25 bucks a set, I'd wait.

-ea6bflyr ;)

According to this article, you guys are currently running around in semi-transparent shirts with your junk awkwardly gathered up in too-tight short linings. So much for the shirtless volleyball hawtness image, I guess.

Husband already had to start wearing them for Squadron PT. For anyone looking for them, unless you live really close to the NEX, I'd call first. Maybe there was a run on them to meet whatever deadline it was the Husband had to have his by, but he had a heck of a time finding them at both North Island and 32nd St. Everyone was out of the common sizes but there were plenty of Smalls and XLs.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Weird. . .I would have thought all the XL's would have sold first, what with this being a Navy fatbody uniform and all.

Bevo16

pilot
The Navy went after getting this gear all wrong.

Instead of identifying their goals and going with what the experts in the field do, they got new PT gear using the same process that they use to get a new destroyer.

If someone from the contracts office had gone to Nike and said:

"Hey, we want a contract that will guarantee 500,000 shirts sold in the first year and 100,000 each year after that. We want yellow/gold dri-fit shirts with NAVY stamped on the front and back and blue shorts from the same mold. You will be the 'Official supplier of athletic gear for the US Navy' and can market yourself as such."

We could have gotten the gear slightly above cost and saved the sailors money in the end while getting them a better product.

All in all, it is going to be better than what the Army and Marine Corps have, but it has a lot of room to improve.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Here's an editorial from the Navy Times on the gear.

Pretty much goes over what ea6 posted.

http://www.navytimes.com/community/opinion/navy_editorial_ptgear_082508/

Apparently they can't handle ship's dryers either.

Next month we have to start wearing them for command PT. I am avoiding wearing them as long as possible.

At least we aren't required to wear Navy Running shoes.... we had to wear issued running shoes the first year at my school. Those things were terrible.