• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New PRK procedure

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I sent this email to NAMI but have not received a response and my surgery is tomorrow. Anyone have any input?

Email:

I was recently disqualified for SNA due to my distant visual acuity (20/200). My prescription was within all of the requirements for the Soft Contact Lens waiver but that was not approved. PRK seems to be my only option for obtaining a SNA position so I have done my research and had several consultations. My question is pertaining to the actual NAMI approval of the varying PRK procedures. Is Epi-Lasik approved since it is a surface correction procedure and a variant of PRK?

Aero Medical Waiver Guide - 12.15 Corneal Refractive Surgery (PRK/LASIK)

"Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) or Surface Ablation or Advanced Surface Ablation (ASA): Laser energy is applied to the anterior corneal surface after the epithelium is temporary displaced or removed. No corneal flap is created. PRK variants include LASEK (epithelium is preserved), and Epi-LASIK (epithelial flap is created)."

I interpret this quote from the waiver guide to say that Epi-LASIK is approved since it is a form of surface correction. I will get whatever surgery is approved but I would prefer to receive Epi-LASIK as the recovery is quicker and less painful. Any input or help that you have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'm not a doctor, but it sounds to me like it is not approved because of the creation of that whatever-flap, which is what they are trying to avoid with PRK.

I'd wait for some verification about this before getting the surgery done.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
IMO, get the variant you know is approved. Sure, it might be nice to have a quicker, less painful recovery, but is it really worth risking your long term goals over?

AppleCello

It first defines terms: CRS, PRK, LASIK.

After that, it says that LASIK and CRS are disqualifying. PRK waiver process is explained.

So to me, it reads that PRK and its variants are wavierable, though having said that, I would not have anything done until it is confirmed by the Navy docs. Just get regular old PRK and suck it up with the recovery period. there is no difference or advantage to Lasik/Lasek/any-other-variant in terms of end result. You are just as likely to get a perfect result with PRK as epi-Lasek. So be safe, don't ruin your chances for getting selected SNA and go with what you know is approved.

Besides, PRK and the resulting recovery period is by far more manly. ;)

sundevil_av8r

pilot
i see what you guys are saying. the surgeon doing my procedure knows both the navy opthomologist that is doing the crs research and the opthomologist who does the surgeries for the usafa. i asked him and he said all the military cares about is that it is a surface correction. he said that there isn't an opthomologist in the country who wouldn't agree that lasek and epi-lasik are exactly the same as prk. what to do... what to do....

borinf2d

T-Bone
I think it is just another name. When I went to hospital for my PRK surgery my paper work I filled out prior said suface ablasion. I verified with everyone there and my doctor, and they were the same thing, and I think I might have heard my doctor mention that term before. I wouldn't bet a career on it though.

USMC_NA

don't be a wus.....join the club and get your eyes sandblasted like the rest of us. it's like total recall when arnold is put in that chair