• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new NSS grading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

I'm hearing different rumors, some from credible people, that the Primary NSS grade system may change to be composed of 100% flying grades vs. the old breakdown (15-API, 15-Ground School, 70-flying) Anyone in Primary know anything about this. It would be good news to me because my API grades sucked. Thanx.

Rainman

pilot
Everybody I know @ Primary says that API grades have no bearing on NSS for selection. Only flights in Primary. enjoy

Semper Fi

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And ground school in Primary (2 tests in initial ground and 1 in radio instruments ground).

ghost_ttu

Wonder how long after API scores dive bomb that they change that back? They have to know that everyone is going to be studying for the 80 since none of it counts. Although I'm not complaining, I'd rather be graded solely on my monkey skills.

mwilkeni

I did a bit of digging after I finished primary at Vance and what you say is true. The NSS is based 100% on primary grades as of the end of April

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
quote: Wonder how long after API scores dive bomb that they change that back? They have to know that everyone is going to be studying for the 80 since none of it counts. Although I'm not complaining, I'd rather be graded solely on my monkey skills.

Everyone at API is first a Naval Officer. Therefore, I'm sure that everyone will give 100% the entire time and just, "be studying for the 80." Thats the way that I would look at it anyway, and the way that I would approach it. Also, just because the scores don't count towards your final selection, does not mean that they do not count at all. You never know if you will have a hard time somewhere down the pipeline, and need those high API and ground school scores to keep you from being dropped. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, only trying to speak from experience.

V/r,

OC Scameheorn

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's called efficiency. Optimize your time by studying only what you need. Remember being a Naval Officer is not all work... there's a lot of PLAY involved when time permits. Why not maximize the allowable time?

cooley4277

What it means is that your API and ground school grades don't count for dick when it comes to your score. The only way they could count is if you fail a bunch and get kicked out because of that. So, for your NSS only your flight grades count. Once you get out of primary, though, your ground school test grades count differently depending on where you go.

Dave Shutter

Thanx for the info guys. Great news! I agree with a lot said here. When I first started API I was all about "8-0 and go", but one of the instructors who gave me a lot of insight said that you need to strive for "total knowledge" as a pilot and I've taken it to heart. I've heard a lot of poeple complain that most of the stuff taught in API is a waste of time and won't really be needed for Primary, that you'll learn it all over again differently. This may be true but I think that, like survival, weather, aero and frr are things you can't know too much about.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:This may be true but I think that, like survival, weather, aero and frr are things you can't know too much about.

It is all a building blocks type of training environment. API is just what its title is, an introduction to the aviation world. For some (like me), I did NOT know what the various airspace classifications were and wouldn't have had clue with most of the terminology: p-factor, wing root/chord, WW, SIGMETS, occluded fronts, blah blah blah! At the same time, the whole training pipeline is designed to make sure that those who shouldn't be there fall by the wayside. Those that are more interested in partying in PCOLA, vice studying. Those in Primary that don't show up prepared for briefs. And down the road to getting Winged, as on each platform more and more gets thrown at you to make you a proficient pilot.

You are right, you keep going over some of the material many times. In fact, I just had another Instrument Ground School lecture the other day, I would not even hazard a guess as to how many I have had that. Publications change, you forget things, and the need to make you a better aviator are the goals. In the case of IGS, well, it was part and package to my annual Instrument Check.

In the fleet you have your quarterly open and closed book NATOPs tests on your aircraft, in addition to your annual NATOPs check in the plane. In most squadrons in one form or another you have your weekly pilot training to keep proficient. This isn't even considering your upgrading path and personnel qualification standards for each of the platforms, whether it be HAC, PPC, lead, whatever.

I am just trying to point out that everything starting at API is an iterative learning process, where you are continually exposed to the information again and again to make sure you understand it and become proficient and expert at it. I personally HAVE used the building blocks that I learned at API and that were expanded upon throughout the pipeline.

This whole topic started out about NSS, and I know just how competitive that process is. I can tell you, that it WILL come across to the IPs and your fellow SNAs if you are the person that is just interested in doing the minimum. Your briefs will be painful, nobody will want to be your FORM partner, and who would want to study to someone that wasn't all that terribly knowledgable?

I am honestly surprised that API is not part of the final NSS. It was a part of mine (but things have undoubtedly changed in the last 2 years since I had my selection). Oh well, that is my 2 cents, best of luck to all of you.

ghost_ttu

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I believe this way. I'm going on the human factor that will look for the easy road. Let's get real there WILL be those that do so. Those that put forward their every effort will be rewarded, and those that slide, will pay that price as well.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The other big NSS mystery is why the simulator grades are or are not calculated into the final score. As I've gone through, they have not been. However guys in the newer classes will have their simulator grades added into it. Makes you wonder the justice in it. The civilian sim guys are not part of the squadron. Therefore you have outside graders. It seems to me that my squadron instructors have a much narrower standard deviation in their grading than the sim instructors. You can have a grouchy old instructor treat you like a little kid or have a true gentleman treat you like an officer. Many times your performance and grades will indicate which instructor you had.

Anyone in training at Corpus right now? Do sim grades count for you guys?

Also, will this vary per training wing or per squadron?

Edited by - kmac on 07/31/2002 08:25:48

Ed Williams

Like you said, sims are now in the NSS. All i Know about the compliation of that magical score is its the old PFM trick (Pure Fuc#$$ magic) When you finish your last flight, some glue sniffing air god pulls a number out of a hat and there you have it...... your future as an aviator!
ed

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But Ed, I thought you were the glue sniffing air god around here..??!?
I put the Primary aggregate score computation on a post up in one of the other sections. That gives you a better idea for how the score is calculated. My final NSS score was about 1 point off from the PAS. Finding the averages and standard deviations for a month is the tricky part.

Status
Not open for further replies.