• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

postman8

Hello there,

This is my first time back to this board since shipping to OCS on June 2nd. I was commissioned on Aug 9th and am currently enjoying some leave before reporting to TBS on Aug 30th. For all of you on here who are still on the civilian side of things trying to get your questions answered and doing soul searching about going or not, let me just say that while the word "awesome" is immensely over used in our society, the time at OCS and becoming an actual Marine are just that- AWESOME, in the true sense of the word. It is not for everyone, our platoon started with 41 and finished with 28. Attrition for the whole company was about 50%. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying it to let people thinking about this now that: 1) It is hard 2) It is doable, if give it a 100% and don't quit. As a 2nd Lt, I don't know much of anything about anything except for OCS, but feel free ask any questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer. Here's some advice I received before shipping to OCS from a Marine friend and boy was it true: Never miss an opportunity to eat, sleep, or change your socks. For the most part they take care of eating for you, but be sure to sleep as much as possible as soon as lights go out- don't stay up late studying- the rest is most important and take care of your feet the vast majority of injuries which sent people home were of the feet, so break in your boots good before going and keep your feet clean and dry as much as possible down there. Oorah.

Tessone

Congrats on your commissioning, postman8! I'm working on my PFT score, trying to bring my crunches up to 100 and my run score down. I'll go to PLC (the 10 week program) next summer.

I'm glad to hear it's all it's cracked up to be. I can't wait to put on those gold bars and call myself an Officer of Marines.

Jester

pilot
Congrats postman8,
It sure does feel good to graduate from OCS doesn't it. I was commissioned in June so I am a little jealous that your getting to go to TBS so soon. I'm not going until january, I went through the PLC combined program. Oh well. Anyway was OCS what you expected it to be? Keep us posted on what your up to at TBS. I would really like to know how those first coupe of months go. Again, congrats postman8 and get some at TBS.

Semper Fi,
Jester

Tessone

Jester, were you PLC-aviation, or are you ground? I knew that PLC folks tend to have to wait for TBS slots, but I wondered if that extended to the pilot contracts, too, or if it was just a product of the flood of ground people.

Jester

pilot
Tessone,
I'm PLC-Aviation. I don't really know why PLCr's are pushed back so much when getting into TBS. Maybe we're just low priority. Anyone else out there have an answer to this issue?

Semper Fi,
Jester

Rainman

pilot
the almighty $$$$$
if commissioned @ OCS (e.g. OCC) you are active duty and getting paid. Same with Academy types. . ..PLCers don't get paid until TBS and active duty, unless you get 60 days PTAD some place. .. oh yeah. .waiting is grand!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll admit, waiting sucks but it does have its advantages later on in TBS. Your pay will be higher because your Pay Entry Base Date will go back to the day you signed your contract. If you were a PLC Jr/Sr candidate, you will probably max Butter Bar pay while at TBS. Secondly, if you decide to leave active duty and stay reserve, your PLC time will count as "SAT" years toward retirement. The PLC program is the program that more then 90% of Marine Officers enter the Corps. Waiting sucks but it will be worthwhile later on.

Congrats Postman on your Butter Bars.

For those of you that have a long time to wait for TBS and are commissioned as a butter bar, put this as an idea in the back of your mind. If you have some stored cash and want to have some fun consider taking MAC flights around the world. Have your OSO draw up some non funded leave papers (needed for travel on MAC), ensure that you have an ID card, grab a backpack and head for Europe or Australia or Japan. Use the USO's as guidance while you travel, particularly in Europe, they are very good. Go to any US Embassy in the world and ask the Marine Guard for help. Most likely you will be given a place to stay (free) at the embassy and they are the best tour guides that you could ever find. I graduated in June of 88 and didn't start TBS until November of 88. I had a hell of a lot of fun. Especially in Greece! Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.